Classic Rock Bottom

NEW MUSIC CORNER # 119 (ADRENALINE MOB/UGLY KID JOE/SKID ROW/FLEETWOOD MAC)

Okay, it's early, I know.  But I have a busy weekend, so there you are.  Also, it seems like a lot from the title, but these are all EP's.  Because  of that, I'm pulling a total of 10 songs from the 4 EP's.  What you have here is a pretty good covers EP (in honor of covers week), a band from way back when that really sounds great today, another band from way back when that would sound better if they still had their original lead singer and said singer was as good as he was way back when (but they still aren't bad) and a really old band who has released a digital download only EP with two pretty good songs and two unmemorable songs.  Wow, that was a long sentence.  And, as a warning, use your earphones.  Some of the language is NSFW or kids or mixed company of any kind.

Adrenaline Mob

Coverta

1. High Wire

2. Romeo Delight

3. Barracuda

Ugly Kid Joe

Stairway To Hell

4. Devil's Paradise

5. No One Survives

6. Would You Like To Be Their (Acoustic)

Skid Row

United World Rebellion Chapter One

7. Let's Go

8. Get Up

Fleetwood Mac

Extended Play

9. Sad Angel

10. Miss Fantasy

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ADRENELINE MOB ... 2 Thumbs 3/4 up

Covers week!  Some of these are really cool, and leave it to an ex-Dream Theater member to come up with an album chock full of cool cover selections!  Badlands?  VH's Romeo Delight?  How cool are those?  Barracuda was nicely done, but I think they needed to find a better tune for him vocally, he was just OK trying to sing an Ann Wilson tune!  Best one of these is easily Romeo Delight, love that they inserted a little Black Dog into it, fit nicely!

ADRENALINE MOB - Yeah, an okay cover of that Badlands' song, but why bother when it sounds almost exactly like the original? Hmmmm, Van Halen is one of those bands, that you shouldn't cover, but again they do a good job, but it sounds exactly like the original. Why would anybody buy this shit, if they have the originals? (Not the KISS-"Box-set") The last one is perhaps the one cover, that I can understand, because it's a man singing a womans song, and it's heavier than the original. Portnoy need to find his place behind Neal Morse as soon as possible.(2 out of 6)

UGLY KID JOE - This band was always a joke to me, but it's not fun anymore. First song, they try to sound like Aerosmith, I can't remember which song from "Rocks". Second song has a kinda "Alice In Chains"-feeling to it. "Stairway To Hell"?! How original! Third song, they kind of sound like themselves, but I'm bored to hell. (1.5 out of 6)

SKID ROW - I honestly hate this band and especially Sebastian Bach!! First song reminds me why I only want to buy good albums this year: To avoid SHIT like this!! "Let's Go" and "Get Up". Man, I want to put on a Dylan-record and enjoy the lyrics!! This is CRAP!!!!!!(0 out of 6)

FLEETWOOD MAC - At LAST some good music and a great band. First song sounds very good. But it sounds very much like a Buckingham-solo song, only with Nicks on backing vocals. I had kind of hoped for Stevie Knicks to sing lead on the last song, so it wouldn't sound too much like a Buckingham-solo project, but it does now. It's not bad at all. It's good, but it's like something is missing. (4 out of 6)

Your reference to the KISS Originals cracked me up...

I can see your point with Skid Row, but I have to disagree on the UKJ.  I'm loving this EP right now.  Not a bad song in the bunch.  Six originals and 3 acoustic versions of previously released tunes.  

FLEETWOOD MAC ... 2 thumbs up!!

LOVE!  I only wish it was a full length release, I am hesitant to buy an EP and then have the same tunes show up on full length CD, or be the "bonus" tracks on a special edition.  These are far and away Buckingham tunes!  I love his song writing so much more when its in the Mac context, don't get me wrong his solo stuff can be real good to, but its way more experimental at times than this.  And this is my preference.

UGLY KID JOE ... Two thumbs laying flat on the hood of car at night watching airplanes fly over 

The Good News:  Its better than I expected it to be.

The Bad News:  My expectations were pretty low.

This is good background music, maybe outdoor in the mountains keg party background music, I can see some retro goofball swaying back and forth, Axl style, spilling his beer all over the place while this plays.

SKID MARKS, I mean ROW ... Two Thumbs looking for S. Bach 

I really didn't like the Lets Go tune.  And I'm not sure what else to say about it, it did nothing for me!  Get UP on the otherhand well that one, uh...  nevermind its not working.  While I've never been much of a Skid Row fan, they have sounded so much better than this.  Not sure what the point of this one is.

"High Wire" is a great, great song. Blew me away the very first time I ever heard the Badlands original. But Niels makes a good point....it is so close to the original, kinda hard to understand why they even did it. Same thing with the VH...sounds great, but they don't "make it their own". I actually think Scott's "Black Dog" reference is more like "Whole Lotta Love"...the echo on the little vocal part sounds "Black Dog"-ish, but the punches and the lead guitar is "Whole Lotta Love", I think, during that little section.

I also really like this new UKJ release. It rocks. And lyrically, they remind me a lot of Alice Cooper. If you listen over their career, quite a lot of "tongue in cheek" humor throughout their history.

The Skid Row is pretty good. The singer sounds like he is trying his best to be Sebastian Bach II...who has not been in the band for many years now. But this is better than I thought it would be.

The first Fleetwood track is ok, the second track is dull and boring, and reminds me why I've never been a fan of this band. They are a pop band, not a rock band. This sounds "corporate" to me. Play it in a dentist or doctor's office.

Overall, a really good post.

Your right, Whole Lotta Love, my mistake...

Adrenaline Mob--Middle thumbs

Nice version of "High Wire", annoying version of "Romeo's Delight" because his voice sounded like crap and I like Russell Allen. Along with the WLL reference, they also threw in a reference to "Top Jimmy"? Why? As for "Barracuda", it wasn't bad, but it sounded a bit plodding. Hey, maybe the original is plodding as well and I just didn't notice it! Decent listen, but nothing I need to rush out and get. Or get, period.  

Ugly Kid Joe--Thumbs Up

Kinda like Europe, I'm impressed with what they've done after the "hit". They just sound nasty and mean and I like that. Well, not the last song, not so nasty and mean, but a nice sounding song. They've obviously matured, no more of those kiddie hi-jinks I guess?

Skid Row--Thumbs in da middle

These really didn't do anything for me, except for the riffage. I just don't like the singer plus the songs really didn't have any memorable hooks, except for parts of "Get Up".

Fleetwood Mac--Thumbs down

Wow. "Sad Angel" started of quite horribly. Lindsey sounded like crap, and then the rest of the band joined in and it sounded ok. But the song really isn't that good. But what's weird is that it kinda grows on you towards the end. So maybe only the end is the best part of the song. Ok....the second song just started and WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH HIS VOICE???? Alone it's crap, with the rest of the band 9or whoever) singing, it sounds ok. Wow again. 

Well, UGJ gets my vote.

What's funny is a few short years ago, Rjhog listened to wussy stuff like NKOTB & The Backstreet Boys. The heaviest album in his collection was this:

Did we corrupt his youthful innocence? 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos