Classic Rock Bottom

by "Tommy Bolin who?" Scott

I only have one this week, actually I almost had two because I had a moment the other day where I almost bought a new release based solely on the album cover and then I remembered that I am more mature nowadays and so I refrained, yet I strangely continue to look at that cover... hmmm...

Anyway, the one I do have I think is very cool and technically since its a dual disc release it really two...  You should know now that if you're into great vocals please lower your expectations, but....  if you're into serious geetarmanship - then raise the dial!!  'cause this is some smokin' geetar.  And what else would you expect from Uli?

CLICK THE ALBUM COVER TO HEAR...

1. The Sails of Charon
  2. Polar Nights
  3. Evening Wind
  4. We'll Burn the Sky
  5. Hell Cat
  6. Rainbow Prelude (improvisation) / Fly To The Rainbow

Warning that last track is like 3 hours long (OK, not quite 3 hours, but maybe just shy of 16 minutes)

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is very good, awesome geetaring throughout. Well, at least thru track 5 since I have to clear out three hours of my time to get to the next two tracks. The vocalist isn't horrible, sounded a bit weak on the first track though. How many of these are live? It shows the first two hear as live, but not the rest.

The reason that I asked for "We'll Burn The Sky" is because someone on amazon stated that it was the heaviest thing they had ever heard and you can't tell by the preview track. It's not THAT heavy, and it's also the weakest track here but it's still good.

I cut it down to one more track to listen to. So, I'll clear 2 hours and 56 minutes from my schedule tomorrow. So far, though, this is pretty awesome!

I don't think any of them are live, I think that was a Gracenote error when I imported them into iTunes. Only disc 1 carries the [live] tag. Annoying but....

I finally finished this and can get on with my life. The last song carries on the awesomeness so this whole listening experience was.....AWESOME!

You might get to hear some of the one you almost picked up next week.  But that's just guessing because of the cover remark.

I think we're on the same page, so you did buy it because of the cover?

If we be talkin' 'bout the same album, definitely not because of the cover, although it's a very good cover.  The band's last five albums have been very good.

Shockingly good.

Did you get the new one?

Yes.

Nope.... Not the same cover...

We're probably all 3 talking about a different album...although I think Jon and I are on the same track.

I don't think the vocals are all that bad, though I don't think they are great either.  I take it these are older Scorpions tunes.  I'm not familiar with any of them.  You both are right, the guitar playing is pretty much stellar.  And all of the tracks do sound live.  But really, this just doesn't do all that much for me.  I think Farmikos was probably better.

Final verdict - No purchase for me.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos