Classic Rock Bottom

New Music Corner #209 (Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock, Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts)

by "flying V is my game" Scott

Two new ones this week, and I think they continue the trend of quality releases by Classic Rock artists this year.  Maybe even lift the bar a bit?  Listen, discuss, and then support!  

Click either album to listen... First up is ...

Michael Schenkers Temple of Rock
Spirit on a Mission

1. Live and Let Live
  2. Communion
  3. Rock City
  4. Good Times
  5. Wicked

Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts
Blaster

1. Way She Moves
  2. Amethyst
  3. Blue Eyes
  4. 20th Century Boy
  5. Circles

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael Schenker's Temple Of Rock--Thumbs In The Middle

Sadly, I judge every MS album by the first three and especially "Assault Attack". Granted, that was many, many years ago and he still sounds great, but he always seem to find weak vocalists. Doogie White was fine 20 years ago or so, but his vocals on here sound weak. What makes it worst is that they are way on the front with the instruments way in the background. I would rather listen to Barden or especially Bonnet back with MS, but that ain't gonna happen. FINAL VERDICT: Musicanship (especially MS) great, vocals not. No sale.  

I can agree, but much like the Uli offering a couple months back, its about the geetarmanship, and to some degree the double bass drum, on this one!

Blaster - Thumbs Up

This is pretty good stuff.  I liked four out of the five tracks posted a good bit.  The only one that faltered a bit was 20th Century Boy.  It wasn't bad and certainly wouldn't make me not listen to the album.  I thought Way She Moves was very nice, but I really liked Blue Eyes.  That's a terrific song.  The last track, Circles, really reminded me of the television show Intervention.  I don't watch it, but my wife watches it often, and Circles sounds like it would fit perfectly at the end of the show.  This is no on my wish list for further evaluation.

I do like this new band of his.  He does sound rejuvenated to some degree.  Its a fine album so far for me.  It will make it into my top ten as of April month end.  Lets see if it has staying power, or better yet, the ability to move up!

Spirit - Thumbs Even

I pretty much agree with the comments to this point.  Musically, the guitar in particular, is dang good.  I don't have a problem with the vocals.  He's certainly not the worst I've ever heard.  I thought this might be a bit cheesy, but it really wasn't.  The only song that approached cheeseville is Rock City.  I don't think I'd have a problem listening to this, I just can't see me reaching for it.  I'll hold off on this one.

Scott Weiland And The Wildcats-- Thumbs more than halfway, but less than 3/4 up

I've actually been listening to this for the last hour while the Mets are playing. First listen didn't impress me too much, I've like it better each subsequent listen. It is quite catchy, but I can't see myself buying this and listening to it a lot. Suprised I like this more than the MS album, but that's what happens sometimes.

So.... two-thirds?

Yeah, sure, maybe.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)