Classic Rock Bottom

New Music Corner #275 - Rik Emmett & Glenn Hughes

by "back with a vengeance" Scott

Got two this week and I like 'em!!  So there's that...  First up is the triumphant return of one Rik Emmett (see what I did there?), yes its mid tempo and more mellow than everyone had hoped, but for any Triumph fan the connections are obvious and so for us hard core fans its a seriously cool record!  Enjoy...

Rik Emmett & RESolution 9 - RES 9

1. Stand Still
  2. When You Were My Baby*
  3. Rest Of My Life
  4. Grand Parade*

Next up is my surprise hit.  I thought this would be good but its better than expected.  The Hammond work is great through this record and recalls the Deep Purple days very nicely!

Glenn Hughes - Resonate

1. My Town
  2. Let It Shine
  3. Landmines
  4. Long Time Gone

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

R.E. - Can't say the first track was anything like I may have expected.  I really liked Emmett's voice way back when, but that seems to be gone (obviously, he's much older so no one expects his singing chops to be where they used to be).  The second track is much better.  Very groovy and some killer ax work.  Rest Of My Life seems to be a feel good song, an upbeat song, almost a song for the road.  Again, the vocals are doing nothing for me at all, but I do like the song overall. Ah, a drinking song to close it out.  This is the best song here for my money.  Something along the line of Dan Fogelberg's Same Old Lang Syne.  Not that it's as good as that track, but a terrific song nonetheless.  And I like the vocals much better here.  

So I get a 3 out of 4 here, and I say Thumbs Mostly Up (but I'm not ready to purchase yet).

G.H. - I had pretty high hopes when this was announced.  I've definitely become a fan, mostly due to his work within Black Country Communion.  But I wasn't at all impressed with the first track released so I immediately forgot about it. The opener has a very good groove.  It has a driving riff and typical Hughes vocals.  So far, so good.  Let It Shine has a slower pace to it and is another groove-worthy track.  There's some nice riffing too.  Two for two. 

Landmines has a terrific start to it.  This song is funky.  Man, it would have worked really well back in the late 70's.  I mean, it works great now, but of course it will never be heard by the masses.  The guitar work is superb, and I'm not even talking about lead work, which features a talk box and is pretty phenomenal in it's own right.  I'm screwed if the next song is good.  Unfortunately, it is.  Just another very, very smooth track.  Excellent.

This one is a straight up 4 out of 4 and it's now on my Wish List.  Thumbs Up!

I listened to both of these this morning and was feeling "meh" about the first one and "not bad" abut the second. I'll try to go into more detail later.

Hmmm.....

Mormon!

RE&R9--Thumbs still in the middle because

Nothing really stands out still for me. Some bluesy stuff, the third song which is jarringly different than the previous two (but actually kinda good) and the last song which is just really, really bad. I actually have a few Triumph albums and they're really never really bad or really good, there just there. Same with this. 

GH--Thumbs Up

Rocky and funky, just how I like it on certain days. Or weeks. hey, is his hair still funky? Can't tell by the album cover. I like this even more than I did last week.

Hmmm....

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos