Classic Rock Bottom

New Music Corner #279 - Devon Allman, The Rolling Stones

By "snowed in" Scott,

Starting the year off right, with some heavy blues and maybe one that slipped by you from the son of a Southern Rock legend...  Check him out if you've never heard him before, but start here, comment and then go check more out.  

Devon Allman
Ride or Die

1. Find Ourselves
  2. Lost
  3. Shattered Times
  4. Live From the Heart

The Rolling Stones
Blue & Lonesome

1. All Of Your Love
  2. Everybody Knows About My Good Thing
  3. Hate To See You Go
  4. Hoo Doo Blues

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely wanna check out Allman later, not convinced as far as the Stones go.

DA - I like the start of this.  There's horns, which I don't love, but they augment, they don't overpower this song.  He's got a very strong, bluesy voice.  Find Ourselves is a fairly fun song.  Cheery.  Nice acoustic start to Lost.  His voice works really well for this type of song.  Is that a talk box?  That is a wicked cool song!  More big-time blues with the next song, even a slight bit of funk.  But it is the least interesting song so far.  I really like his acoustic work so far.  The acoustic track on the final song is reminiscent of Under The Milkyway by The Church.  Another very nice, smooth track and I also must mention the fine electric work as well.   I like three out of four tracks here.  Probably won't spend the money on it at this point though.  

He has some earlier stuff with a band called Devon Allmans Honeytribe that's pretty cool as well.  I've been liking it quite a good bit lately

Devon Allman--Middle Thumbs

Got a sense of sameness with each song with nothing really standing out. This sounds like a product of the 70's, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it seems I've heard it before when I really haven't. THe album cover reminds me of The Black Crowes' "Lions" for some reason, even though they are completely different.

Rolling Stones--I don't know how I feel about this....

I mean it's ok and all that but it's a covers album, so I'm really on the fence on how I really feel about it. They sound good, but it's a covers album. Is this really going to be their last ever album, you know, a covers album? Hell, at least it's much better than Aerosmith's Bobo album. I don't know anymore with this being a covers album. What to do with this, a covers album?

Its Glorious!  admit it....  But seriously, there are reports the band has new songs in the can and are still recording.  We should get one more non-covers effort at least

Rolling Stones (Thumbs Down)

Not because it's terrible.  As a matter of fact, musically it sounds pretty good for a group of old geezers.  But like Jon, I'd rather have an album with mostly originals at this point.  There are a lot of old geezers still writing new songs and doing a pretty good job of it.  I like covers, I just don't need an album of covers from any band other than possibly Kiss. Also, they are blues standards, which are not exactly my cup-o-tea.  I just can't get interested in this, much like the albums from this past year by Alter Bridge and Michael Sweet.

Production is disjointed song over song but not compromised if that makes sense.  I too prefer non-covers albums (by a long shot actually) which is why this wont crack any top ten list for me, but the covers are obscure enough (at least to me) to make this very interesting from time to time

Rolling Stones - Thumbs in the midlle pointing down

I've heard this album twice, and the second time, it sounded a little bit better, than the first. Honestly, I don't really see the point of this album, other than earning more money, and go on another world-tour, earning tons of money. I don't really want another Stones-album, and I would gladly take the one, they released 12 years ago, as the last one, since it wasn't bad at all. Listening to this album, to me it sounds like, Jagger is the only one, who still has "youth" and "talent". I would much rather have a good solo-album from him, just like the one from 1991/2. Stones played some okay blues back in the early 60's, but got first interesting when Jagger/Richards began writting their own material. Just like in many other "cases" (Van Halen, AC/DC, Guns'N'Roses, KISS, Queensryche, The Who aso. aso) they should had packed it in a loooong time ago, imo when Bill Wyman left in 1991. Wyman has my respect.

I knew this wouldn't approach your wheelhouse and quite honestly a year ago it wouldn't have approached mine either.  But thanks to Jon the Stones invaded my wheelhouse aggressively and then thanks to fresh jaunt through the ACDC catalog I got the Blues bug...  Amazing how bluesy the Scott-led ACDC really were, anyway...  in summary, last year, we agree, this year I like these quite a good bit due to this...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos