Classic Rock Bottom

by "something new, something old", Jon

Heaven & Earth--Dig (April 2013)

The third album from Heaven & Earth, "Dig" features some more of their blues-based rock with nods to Deep Purple/Rainbow. Cool album cover, quite a good album too.

1. No Money, No Love

2. Man & Machine

3. Back In Anger 

4. Sexual Insanity

5. A Day Like Today

Headspace--I Am Anonymous (May 2012)

Since this came out May 22, 2012, this falls within the year (for now). Plus this is an album I stumbled across while looking at something else and Amazon said I would like this if I liked what I was looking at. Holy crap, folks. This is amazing stuff. This features Damian Wilson (Threshold, Star One) on vocals, Adam Wakeman (son of Rick Wakeman) on keyboards and Pete Rinaldi on geetar. Impeccably produced, this is one hell of a fine prog album. Since there's only seven songs on the album, I have only included three. The first is very mellow, the next two are....well, you just have to listen. I am in awe of this band, this is truly incredible music for a debut album (not counting an EP they had a few years ago).

1. Soldier

2. In Hell's Name

3. Invasion

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heaven & Earth - Thumbs Up

This is really good.  A definite five for five.  That third song terrific.  And the fourth song was almost just as good.  I had thought about getting this but decided against it in lieu of not buying so much new stuff.  That may change cause this is going back on the wish list.  

Headspace - Thumbs Up

Two for two for Jon Boy...This is also very nice stuff.  Musically and vocally.  These long-ass songs aren't bothering me at all.  

HEAVEN AND EARTH ... Two Thumbs wanting this too be better! 

Hopefully this just isn't me, but this is good stuff!  My problem is that this is the best I can say about it.  Good in this case doesn't really intrigue me or get me close to Wish List status.  The musicianship is on point, its the songwriting, its just OK.  It seems with all the promotion of this band that there would be more substance behind them.  I hear them trying to sound like Deep Purple, Rainbow and Blackmore's Night, and that should be a good thing, but it falls short for me.

HEADSPACE ... Two Thumbs nearly up 

This I like much better than just good.  It something that's got something unique about it, doesn't sound like anyone else (though I have been heavily researching and listening to sound bytes of Porcupine Tree lately so I'm in the prog zone).  I do love the retro feel of the keyboard work and modern production.  Its not over-the-top prog, and its not that heavy play-as-fast-as-you-can prog either.  This is thoughtful and well constructed. Would love to hear some more

HEAVEN & EARTH - 3 out of 6

Yeah, it's nice cover. Probably the second-best album cover so far this year.

The music sounds very familiar. Is the first track a cover, or do they just sound that much like Whitesnake/Purple/Rainbow/Badlands/Blue Murder/Black Country Communion etc. etc.? Second song, and I'm very close to be writting: Naaah, this bores me. I don't need yet another band playing this kind of rock, when there's more than a dusin, that does it much better. It's not bad, but I don't need it, and I don't need to waste my time, listening to it, when I can put on something original, or more original than this. They also need to rock a little harder. But again: It's not bad, because I like Whitesnake/Purple...... etc. etc.

HEADSPACE - 3.5 out of 6

I heard this album once, around the time, it was released. I wasn't that impressed, and didn't purchase it. The singer is not particular good in any way imo. First track is good, but very boring. The start of the second track start's just as boring, but get's better. I don't understand, why they go back to the boring stuff, though. Rock on, for Christ's sake!! They sound kind of swedish to me. There's some kind of Queensryche/Tool-vibe to this band, or is that just me? Last track is by far the best. That one is a good Prog-track, but still not good enough for a purchase. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos