Classic Rock Bottom

by "it's really not THAT bad" Jon

Yes--Heaven & Earth (July 2014)

1. The Game

2. To Ascend

3. Light Of The Ages

4. Subway Walls

Robert Plant--lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar (September 2014)

1. Pocketful Of Golden

2. Turn It Up

3. Somebody There

4. House Of Love

5. Arbaden (Maggie's Baby)

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ROBERT PLANT ...  Listen a few times and you'll get it!

I own this, in fact I've had this long before you did I'm sure, and I have really been trying to hear why he gets such critical praise for what sounds like a bunch of musical experiments.  And then I heard what I was looking for.  But I'm still not sure what it is that makes this very cool.  It just is.  Maybe because its so different.  There's some cool subtle riffs, nice blues geetar©™, bits of Led Zeppelin, melodic ooey-gooeyness, and great choruses (Somebody There for example).  The one track I didn't care for on this release was Turn It Up and you posted it!  But I get your method here.

YES ...  Moments followed by lullabies, followed by moments…

So I've been avoiding this because it has been said it’s quite the snooze-fest.  Let’s see...  I do like The Game, but the mix seems off, the snare drum is weak.  A pet peeve of mine... Still it’s a nice slightly less than mid-tempo but not quite a slow song opener with some nice geetar©™ work.  His vocals are remarkable when compared to Anderson though, he hits some notes almost exactly the same!  To Ascend is the snoozefest I was afraid of – sure it has some nice moments and the acoustic backdrop works to a degree, but still not very interesting overall.  Light of the Ages, hmmmm…  Getting the big picture of this now.  I can’t see this being something I would play often.  Subway Walls – now this is more like it.  I love the prog feel, even if it’s tinged with a bit of jazz and still its way into the mellow-zone and ultimately, I think the critics have been proven true.  This is somewhat boring and too mellow.  Still a fine listening experience.

YES - 0.5 out of 6

There's a strong possibility, that this album is the worst and most boring album, I've heard this year. Biggest dissapointment of 2014, perhaps.

ROBERT PLANT - 5.5 out of 6

And There's a big chance, that this will be on the top spot on my top 10-list of 2014. There's not a bad track on the album. The production is amazingly good. And it's Plant himself as a producer?! I love the sound of the drums and guitars. And Plant sings great. I for one, think that it's a very good choice of Plant, not going on a Zep-tour, when he instead Can produce great albums like this. Some of the tracks/production sometimes sounds like something from a Tom Waits-album, and that's not at all bad in my book.

Yes - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.  Yep, what Scott heard is correct, quite the snooze fest.  That was almost 30 minutes of sleep I caught up on from last night.  Appreciate that Jon.  Seriously, I've thought several times about picking up some Yes and trying it, but I think this will just remain a band that I don't care for.

Robert Plant - I hear a Zeppelin lyric right off the bat.  That's okay, he can do that.  This first track is quite cool.  It has a very atmospheric feel, sounds like it would have been right at home on Now And Zen.  I didn't think I liked track two that much, but the longer it plays, the more I like it.  Nifty little guitar solo.  I have to agree with Niels, Plant is sounding quite good.  And the guitar tone on Somebody There is nice.  I'm not a hundred percent on the production, some times it sounds like there is some echo.  Maybe that's on purpose.  It's certainly not a buzz kill or anything like that.  Track four makes me realize that so far, everything has been real laid back, which isn't really a surprise.  I'm totally diggin' House Of Love.  The bass, the drums, the lyrics.  Cool, cool song.  The final track sounds a bit like some of that experimental stuff Scott was referring to.  It's short, nothing spectacular.  

I just added this to my Wish List.  Will probably pick it up due to this NMC.  Nice job Jon Boy.

Picked up Robert Plant last week.  Little Maggie is a totally cool song.

So is Embrace Another Fall.

There you go

"A Stolen Kiss" is probably song of the year for me.

Which reminds me: One of my 3 favorite tracks this year is an instrumental. Do we have "Best instumental" in "best of 2014" or was that scratched?

Nope.  I tried to add some spice to this years awards but my attempt got shutdown.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos