Classic Rock Bottom

by "finally a twosie" Jon

UFO--A Conspiracy Of Stars (March 2015)

1. Run Boy Run

2. Sugar Cane

3. Precious Cargo

4. One And Only

5. Rolling Rolling

Steven Wilson--Hand. Cannot. Erase. (March 2015)

1. Hand Cannot Erase

2. Routine

3. Regret #9

4. Ancestral

Views: 263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

STEVEN WILSON ... Two Thumbs Way Up!

I received the same shipment, probably before you got yours, and I've yet to spin the UFO because this one is getting all the attention.  For me it is as expected and a little more.  I love his mix and production.  The sound quality is beyond stellar.  And if you like the tunes posted here, then you'll love what Jon left off the playlist!  Album of the year?  Well, lets take a wait and see approach, but its getting penciled in at #1 for right now

It's #1 for me right now as well (sorry, BSR).

Also need to mention the real-life story this album is based on. Very sad and quite scary. 

I am not aware of the background story.  Im going to look it up

Look up Joyce Carol Vincent.

I can't really say about the new UFO-album, because I listened to the first track on the album, and could hear, that it was not for me at all. Never was a UFO-fan, and probably never will be.

STEVEN WILSON - 6 out of 6

When I give 6 out of 6, it's because of the Deluxe-version of this album. I can't remember the last time, where I sat with an "album-cover" or book as it is in this case, listening to the album, and really enjoying the full package like this. You really understand the full project, Wilson has made with this album/story, when you listen, and look at the beautifull pictures (of a beautifull lonely woman), reading the thoughts of the woman (especially the thoughts are very moving/interesting!!) and all the other exceptional fantastic replica, for example her birth certifcate, her grades from school, her drawings and her final letter to her brother. I don't know about you, but I really GET what Wilson has created here. I really love a good concept-album, and this one is the best one I've heard/experienced in quite a while. The music is off course the uppermost important issue here, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the music. I don't know yet, since I've only heard the album maybe 6 times now, but I THINK, that I like this one even better than "The Raven". I wish "the woman" had more songs to sing on the album, and I wish the album was at least 10 min. longer. This album, especially when I consider the deluxe-version will be extremely tough to be beaten, when it comes to my personal top 10 of the year. I simply had to buy tickets to the Wilson-concert next month. I do not want to miss that at all. He is at the top of his game with this release.

I've listened once.   Not that impressive.  Not saying it's not good, just not overly impressed.  Right now, The Raven is better.  I'll spin it some more, maybe.  I was pretty sure these two would be what you posted.  And not to leave UFO out, I've spun it twice.  And while good, again, not as impressive as the previous effort.

The UFO stuff is decent but I'm still unlikely to buy the album.

I like UFO so I might buy it. Their 70's stuff was stellar.

UFO - I actually like four of the five tracks you chose better than I thought.  The only so so track here is One And Only. Let me say this, I absolutely love Vinnie Moore's playing.  It is amazing.  The work he did on Precious Cargo is enough to recommend the album.  I'm still not sold that it's as good as Seven Deadly.  Seven Deadly had two or three "wow" tracks.  I didn't really find one of those for this album.  But now that I've heard Precious Cargo three times, I may have found it.  I have no doubt that it will continue to grow on me.  It may not get a spin this week with Europe arriving on Tuesday and a couple of others that need some attention, but I'll find time for it somewhere.  

Final Verdict - Still fleshing out, but leaning towards thumbs totally up.

I agree, love me some UFO

UFO ...  Two Thumbs up and climbing

At first listen I would say Seven Deadly was a better effort, but this is getting better and better every time I spin it.  Vinnie Moore is really good, I'm really really good! And the songs grow on you, they start off goo and build into great and this is consistent tune over tune.  Much like Wilson, you posted tracks that are nice but left off some of the albums best.  Rolling Rolling is one you nailed though!  Great closer!

Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase is a very cool song.  It's got some melody.  But other than that, I just don't get the Wilson worship with you guys.  Don't get me wrong, it's not bad.  But it's not great either.  I hear some nice guitar playing in spots.  But it's just not as interesting as the five songs on the Neal Morse Band album.  

Final Verdict - Thumbs Even, buy it if your crazy about this dude, skip it if you aren't.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos