Classic Rock Bottom

by "and you thought it would be Toto" Jon

Pat Travers--Retro Rocket (March 2015)

1. I Always Run

2. Who Can You Turn To

3. Mystery At The Wrecking Yard

4. I Am Alive

5. Hellbound Train

Scorpions--Return To Forever (March 2015)

1. House Of Cards

2. Rock 'N' Roll Band

3. Rollin' Home

4. Eye Of The Storm

5. Gypsy Life

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

PAT TRAVERS ... Two Retro Thumbs Up

I received this before Jon did and probably listened to it 6-7 times before he even took the disc out of the sleeve.  This is, without a doubt, retro rock and it totally harkens back to the mid to late 70's and Travers pre-Crash and Burn work.  As always, with Travers its about the riff, the boogie, and the geetarmanship, and less about lyrics and vocals.  This needs to be cranked up and enjoyed.  Mystery At The Wrecking Yard is an instrumental but its cool! Don't skip around it! 

I bet I know what Scott is posting next week...

Not sure yet, stay tuned for the answer....

I believe I TOTOlly know THE ANSWER.

Pat Travers

Can't say I've ever been a fan.  Did he do Snortin' Whiskey??  If so, that's the only song I remember him for.  The first track is so-so for me.  I totally dig the fantastic guitar playing but his voice (or whoever is singing) is pretty horrid.  But like Scott said above, I guess you don't pick up a Travers album for the vocals.  Now the second track is better.  His rough vocals fit better here.  This song is cool.  Track three, after a promising start, continues the trend from track one.  Great musically, not so much vocally.  I Am Alive is pretty good.  Better than the previous track.  I dig the start of Hellbound Train.  But alas, after a good start, same thing.  

Final Verdict - Musically I can't complain one bit, but it's a no-go for me.

Scorpions

Now, the start of this first track is terrific.  I'm surprised that this doesn't sound cheesy at all.  This is actually pretty good.  That melodic dual guitar playing is sweet.  Great start.  Next song, although pretty rocking, really doesn't do much for me.  

Oops, gotta run, will be back later to finish this.

I'm back.  Rollin' Home is not good.  There's that cheese I knew was there.  "This rock is rollin' home".  Not good at all.  Eye of the Storm is a bit better.  I don't think it's the best ballad they've ever written, but not the worst either.  I can live with it.  Gypsy Life appears to be another ballad.  There are a couple of cheesy lyrics, but not too bad.  The guitar sounds fantastic.  So does Klaus' voice.  

Final Verdict - Maybe I was hasty in thinking this was terrible, it's not.  But I still don't think I'll purchase it.

SCORPIONS ... Two Thumbs way up!

I read a review on this that said this album was ballad heavy, not sure what you'd expect from a bunch 90 year old German rockers!  Seriously, this is getting better reviews than what I expected and thus peaking my interest.  House of Cards is the typical acoustic Scorpions tune, not sure they've ever done it better than Holiday from Lovedrive, but this sounds really good - not Holiday good, but really very good! Surprised it didn't pick up with the geetar and backing band. Rock and Roll Band sounds good, like the riff, but I expected HQ riffage.  I really dig the riff in the chorus, that's a new twist.  Nice tune!  Jabs has still got it... Rollin' Home, now this is a change up!  3 for 3 for me!  Eye of the Storm, wow really very nice.  I'm hooked in.  Gypsy Life - there's that Loving You Sunday Morning hook...  I'm into this.  Love it!

2 for 2 Jon!  Way nice NMC this week, the others don't know what they're missing!!!

Yes, "we" do.

You're not one of the "others" , you actually listen and respond ..

Responded...yes...listened...doubt it.

I actually listened, Boss. But not all of the albums/tracks. I've learned my leason last year, where the Big Wreck-album appeared in NMC without me taking any notice, so you bet I listen to what is posted in NMC this year. Most of the albums, I've already listened to, or at least fragments of, like these two albums, and.....listening to them all the way through would be another waste of my time. I haven't got that much time, listening to music, usually 1 or 2 (but that's once or twice a week) albums a day. I have to count on my own ability to know when it's an album that will grow on me or not, and when it's a kind of rock-music, that I don't care about (anymore).

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos