by "the originator, all else are cheap copies" Jon

ABC--The Lexicon Of Love II (June 2016)

1. The Flames Of Desire

2. Ten Below Zero

3. Singer Not The Song

4. Kiss Me Goodbye

5. The Love Inside The Love

allmusic.com review:

While on-stage at a show commemorating the 30th anniversary of ABC's undeniably classic album The Lexicon of Love, Martin Fry had an epiphany. Why not make a sequel? Something that captured the sweeping vision of the original, but also added the wisdom of three decades gained by living through the endless ups and downs of love. Working with Anne Dudley, who arranged the strings on the original Lexicon, producer Gary Stevenson, and a few songwriters, Fry did exactly what he set out to do on 2016's The Lexicon of Love II.

The album gets the majestic, cinematic scope of the original down perfectly, with Dudley's epic string arrangements embellished with grand pianos, some fluid fretless bass playing, impassioned backing vocals, and the occasional moment that, if you close your eyes, almost sounds like 1982 -- not only because of the musical backing, but also because Fry's voice is relatively untouched by age. While he can't hit the same falsetto notes that he could 30 years earlier, he does still sing with the same urgency and power that he used to, and that's very impressive. Of course, there are no tracks here as perfect as "The Look of Love" or "Poison Arrow," but there aren't any weak links either, and the album holds together unexpectedly well. And some of the tracks do come pretty close to the heights reached on the original Lexicon, like the swaggering disco-funk workout "Viva Love," the nautically romantic "The Ship of the Seasick Sailor," and the most 1982-like of the lot, "The Flames of Desire." There are even a couple that might have fit in on Beauty Stab (the guitar-heavy "Singer Not the Song") or Zillionaire (the slickly danceable "Confessions of a Fool").

Throughout, Fry's lyrics cast a wryly practiced eye on the travails of being a failed lover, the difficulty of making a living playing music, and the inevitable march of time. It's a melancholy journey, made even sadder by the strings that permeate everything, but it's also inspiring and always stylishly delivered. Fry and his crew of accomplices could have failed miserably trying to re-create the sound of Lexicon exactly, making it a stale nostalgic exercise that would have tarnished the original by association. Instead, they got at what makes it great -- the over the top romanticism, the audacious vocals, and the widescreen melodies -- and gave it a wiser, more thoughtful update. The Lexicon of Love II isn't exactly a return to form, since their 2008 album Traffic is a hidden gem in their catalog, but it does serve as a reminder that Martin Fry and ABC created one of the best albums of the '80s, if not ever, and they still have what it takes to come within shouting distance of those ridiculously lofty heights.

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its been a good while since you've professed your love for this band, but I recall your true feelings for them from days of yore, and I can visualize you ball room dancing as you listen to this in your living room, not a good visual by the way, but a dancing fool you are...  admit it!

Definitely transports you back to 1982, the strings, the beat, the electronic drums, the strings, I do like the bass line, but those strings are so disco-ish its like a hybrid 1977/1982 collision, please note that I didn't say that was a bad thing, I'm just not sure what kind of thing it is yet...

More strings on track 2, are you sure this isn't some collaboration with OMD?  You know, ABCOMD.  Gotta admit that the second track got lost in the background for a minute.  Third track wakes me back up, but its not as interesting as the opener.  

I do love that keyboard effect on the fourth track, its one that gets my interest every time. And the strings are back in full force.  At barely under 5 minutes it could've used a nice little bridge with those keyboards given full focus, or take a minute off of it and its suddenly ready for radio, I liked it though I would have opted for more of those keyboard highlighted.

And the orchestral aspects of this are fully realized in the closer.  Nice, but the song doesnt hold up to the suggested grandeur of it all. 

I never heard Lexicon I, outside of the video hits, so I have no point of reference for some of these tracks.  I will say its nice to hear a poppier side of your musical interests, I do like some of it myself, and it has to be special to make its way into my collection, so I know you have a connection with this band...  I simply don't have the same connection, not for me, but it was a fun listen

Wow, on that first song, when the vocals kick in, the 80's really rush back to me.  As the song moves along, the strings sound like they belong on C.H.i.P.s.  Not sure if I typed that out right, but I'm talking about John and Ponch cruising at normal speed down the California freeway, chasing somebody that doesn't know how to drive.

The second song isn't so good.  It feels like it lasts for 6 or 7 minutes.  But they pick it up again with Singer Not The Song. I like this a good bit better.  Maybe the best song so far.  Yep, definitely so far.  

Kiss Me Goodbye is a pretty good 80's song.  Those strings are there again.  Such a TV show feel for me.

The last track isn't too bad.  This one sounds like maybe it would fit in a James Bond movie or something.  

Overall, this was a pretty fair listen.  I enjoyed that it took me back to 80's music.  It's not something that I would take with me in the truck to listen to, so I won't purchase, but it was a worthy peak.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos