Classic Rock Bottom

by "in a singular metal mood" Jon

Overkill--The Grinding Hill (February 2017)

1. Goddamn Trouble

2. Shine On

3. Let's All Go To Hades

4. Red, White And Blue

5. The Grinding Wheel

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Overkill is a bit outside of my metal wheelhouse, but my newfound love of Metal has softened my stance and moved them a bit closer to the aforementioned wheelhouse which is made out of pure metal.  Now, I said it moves it closer, but still it sits on the outside looking in...  at least as far as the first track, more appropriately titled "Golly Gosh-Dern Trouble" but that guitar break worked well....

Shine On sure doesn't help, there's a real poor-mans-Vince Neil quality to his vocals, is it just me?  Lets all go to WHERE?  No way Jose, I'm trying to stay clear of that place...  But it does make for a nice riff and musically the best track so far, still worst subject matter though.  Red White and Blue ... whoa nelly!

Best song alert!  The Grinding Wheel is quite listenable - has an Accept quality to it.  The outro, AKA the Coda (see my play on this topic and the first and only original playlist on this site here!) is nice and lengthy in a good way.

Still outside of the Metal wheelhouse but I looked up some previous Overkill comments I had made.... here's a sample

• Wow this is awesome...ly awful!
  • I tried to listen, I really did, but I cant make it through
  • How do you tell their albums apart? - (note: this one may still apply)
  • Two Thumbs zoned out and wanting to listen to Rush again 
  • Overkill is probably my favorite thrash band of all-time. These guys should have been bigger. - (oops sorry this was Scandal2000 not me)
  • I didn't like this, although there were moments where one could pick up on really cool riffage (The Goal is Your Soul, and The Head And Heart for example)...  maybe there was hope for me at one time!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos