Classic Rock Bottom

The Cassette Chronicles takes a look at the self-titled debut album from Badlands this week. You can check it out via this Limelight Magazine.com link.

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice article Jay.  I really didn’t know anything about the band until a few years ago.  I have this one only and will be happy to watch for a good used copy for you.  I wouldn’t mind having the other two as well.

Badlands.
Have some memories about this album. It came out at the time when I was one of the contributors to a Show at the local Radio station, called Heavy Metal Rendezvous. From this album, I was pushing "High Wire". Remember the DJ calling me a few days later to ask if I could meet this guy (a listener of the show) and perhaps make him a copy of the song because he was non-stop calling the station. I was always happy to help out my brothers in Heavy Metal, so I did. I bought the LP abroad because it wasn't available back home, so I knew how much he would appreciate the gesture. What surprised me the most is how enthusiastic this fellow was about Badlands. You don't forget those things. Literally, I never saw anyone so happy.

As I moved around the album stayed behind, but once I settled, I did manage to pick up the CDs of their first 2 albums. Since I heard it before, I wasn't in a hurry to listen to it again. I only got around to do so this year. I noticed two things. First, the CD (and the cassette versions) had the Ball And Chain as a bonus track, as opposed to the Vinyl, so I got to add something new to the experience. And two, the album didn't hold up very well for me. I still like it, but High Wire is the only track I put on to my shuffle. I think the excitement of that fan would stay longer in my memory than the songs from this album will.

But, I'm glad you like it. To be clear, not a bad album at all, just overall less guitar driven than how I remember it.

Oh yeah. I was much more impressed by this new singer's voice (Gillen) who I never heard before, than Jake E. Lee's performance. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos