First the rules:
1) List five bands that you consider vastly underrated bands.
2) The bands must be considered rock bands (any genre of rock will qualify)
3) The Band Must Have Been Around At Least 20 Years
4) The Band must have had limited or no commercial success. In other words, you might claim the last four Metallica albums are underrated, but they would not qualify because they have had tremendous success. I will allow bands that perhaps were one hit wonders or had a limited run of successful albums.
5) Here is the kicker. If someone respectfully disagrees with one of your picks, you have the right to request the person (let's have fun with this) to "defend their thesis." The person defending will have to explain why the band is underrated, but the person who has requested your pick to be justfied must also explain why he/she disagrees with the band being underrated.
For example, let's say I list one of my favorite bands "Uriah Heep." To me, they are vastly underrated with a ton of good albums and good songs. Someone may disagree with me and their argument could be "Their recent albums may be underrated, but they had a fair share of hits and successful albums in the 70's so they had their moment in the sun." I would then have to counter with my justification.
5) The Spooky Tooth
2) Doro Pesch
1) Rose Tattoo
This one's definitely gonna require some thought Scandal.
Defend your thesis, lol. Kidding, the key word is "vastly." I think we are all guilty of thinking most of our bands are underrated even when they are successful, but some bands just never seemed to be able to catch a break.
So this is where Ive landed and its a list I like and can defend...
5. Shooting Star
POCO now there is an interesting pick. I like it.
So since Thin Lizzy was disqualified I delete my revised post and am reverting back to my original list....
No UFO? Now this is getting tough!! Heres my update
4. Shooting Star
5. Spock's Beard
2. King's X
Nazareth, was the first band that came to mind for me also!
Does Spocks Beard qualify? Their first album appeared in 1995 leaving them short of the 20 year rule.
"The Band Must Have Been Around At Least 20 Years". They formed in 1992. They qualify in my book.
I may need to revise my list then because I left them off thinking they came in just under 20.