Classic Rock Bottom

Like promised a few days ago, this is an special-edition of VOTW, nothing that I had planned, but there's a request from RJhog, Slash's video with Fergie "Beautiful Dangerous", and at the same time, I'm going to add a couple of video's. Let's say 4 new one's and 1 classic with a potential cheesefactor.

1. SLASH (feat. FERGIE) - BEAUTIFUL DANGEROUS

You'll probably all know this one. I did'nt know, this video exsisted, so Thank's RJhog for making me aware of it. This must be the 3rd single from that album. Cool stuff, I think.

2. MONSTER MAGNET - GODS AND PUNKS

Now, I was planning to "post" Alter Bridge's new album in NMC next week, but Scott beat me to it, so I have to change my plans. Monster Magnet's new album is in my plans at this moment, but let's see, how it turns out. If somebody also had beat me to this one, I would have to "post" "This is happening" from LCD Soundsystem, and believe me, you would'nt want that, so PLEASE let me have this!!(Okay, so now you know one of the potential CD's in NMC next week, but there's two left!!)

3. BLACKMOORE's NIGHT - HIGHLANDS

Ritchie Blackmoore's newest "project", after Deep Purple and Rainbow. Well, I'm not going to rate this right no, but I think this is great!!

4. RAVAGE - GRAPES OF WRATH

This comes from the Ravage-album "The end of Tomorrow". The band is from Boston, and that's really all I know about this one.

5. SLAVE RAIDER - MAKE SOME NOISE

I can't stop laughing when I see (and hear) this video, because I remember, I read an article about this band in (yes) Kerrang! in 1988, and they said, that they were not interested in being a BIG band, they wanted to be LEGENDS like KISS and Queen. Now, whatever became of them, I do not know. I also saw them being interviewed by Mick Wall on a HM-show on Sky-tv, where they ALSO made fools of themselves. What do you reckon the cheesefactor is??

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know that Blackmore's Night may come off as kind of cheesy to some, but ever since I discovered them I've really liked their music.

That trend continues with this song.
I need a refresher on the rating scale. Does this sound right? Everybody starts at zero, with up to 1 point for video and 1 point for song, depending on how much you like it, and up to -1 point for video and for song depending on how much you dislike it. That's what I'm going with for this edition of VOTW, correct me if I'm wrong and I'll adjust next week.

Slash feat. Fergie (2 points)

Niels, this video is not working, but since I've seen it, I'll rate it anyway.

Let me say I'm not a fan of Fergie. Her usual type of music, as far as I know, is pop/hip-hop, neither of which I like. However, I think she sounds great on this song. I think she would be very capable of teaming with somebody like Slash and making a great rock record. Her voice is sexy on this song and I like the song so 1 point. 1 point easily for the video. I don't think I've yet mentioned the level of her hotness! It's a very high level. Did I say very hot!

Monster Magnet (1.25 points)

This is the first I've heard from this band. I kind of like it. I'm not crazy about the singer's voice, but it's not terrible, so 0.75 points for the song. The video isn't special, but it does make me wonder how folks come up with these concepts. I'll give 0.5 points for it's originality.

Blackmore's Night (0 points)

I'm gonna stay completely neutral on this one. While it's not bad, I'm not particularly entertained by the song or the video. And the woman (Blackmore's wife I presume) is a slightly prettier version of Sarah Jessica Parker.

Ravage (-1.5 points)

That video blows. Minus 1 point for the video. The band has absolutely no personality. However, I did like the jacket that the main character in the video was wearing, if that matters. The song wasn't much better. As a whole, I don't like the song, but I did like the dual solo, so only -0.5 points.

Slave Raider (-2 points/Cheese Factor 10)

So they didn't want to be big, just legends like Kiss and Queen. Well, I don't think they ever had to worry about being big, and if they wanted to be legends like the other two, they should have tried not sucking so much. Terrible song, terrible video. CF is high because of: drummer's hands on fire, lead singer with the chainsaw, all guitar playing and style, pumping the fist in the air as the chorus says "hey".

Fun vids for a Saturday morning Niels.
The Slash-video works just fine here?! If anybody else, has trouble seeing this video, let me know, and I'll try to find another "copy". And you're right about the ratings, RJhog.

Okay, I'll give my ratings now:

SLASH (2 points)

Very good song, and a GREAT video. What a body!!

MONSTER MAGNET (1,75 Points)

I really like this video, one of the best I've seen in a while, and the song is good, so video 1/ song 0,75.

BLACKMOORE's NIGHT (1,5 Points)

I really like this song, and I'm surprised, that Blackmoore is making such good music nowadays (1 point). The video is just okay (0,5).

RAVAGE (0 points)

The song is okay, I guess (0,5) but the video is lousy and booring (-0,5 points).

SLAVE RAIDER (-2 points and cheesefactor 10)

I guess I've said, what I have to say about this one. Absolutely awfull in every way!!
I had a strong feeling, that I had heard the "Highland"-song (Blackmore's night) before, and I was right:

It was witten and recorded around 1992 by the sweedish "band" One More Time:

I liked it then, I like it now. It's not your typical heavy Rock-song, but it has some kind af ABBA-vibe, that a lot of sweedish pop-music had around the 70's, 80' and 90's. It's not so strange with this song, because it's partly written by a son of Benny Anderson from ABBA.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos