Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 100 THE POLICE - OUTLANDOS d'AMOUR (1978)

Words Of Wisdom

"I guess you'd call it suicide, but

I'm too full to swallow my pride"

- Sting

Artist: The Police

Genre: Rock, New Wave

Country Of Origin: England

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (2003)

Album: Outlandos d'Amour

Released: November 2, 1978

Producer: The Police

Singles: Roxanne/Can't Stand Losing You/So Lonely

Song Of The Week: Truth Hits Everybody

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Album Cover: 6/10

Let's check out The Police this week.  Outlandos d'Amour is the debut album from 1978.  The album is certified Platinum in the U.S. and managed to chart at #23.  Roxanne was the only single to chart in the U.S., reaching #32.  This, however, was after touring, as it flopped when it was originally released.  

I think this is a pretty good album.  As far as The Police go, I can't decide if this one or Synchronicity is their best album.  I like the first 3 tracks and tracks 6 and 7.  I also love the drumming, especially on the first track.  Stewart Copeland may just be an underrated drummer.  Take a listen and tell me what you think.

1. Next To You

2. So Lonely

3. Roxanne

4. Hole In My Life

5. Peanuts

6. I Can't Stand Losing You

7. Truth Hits Everybody

8. Born In The 50's

9. Be My Girl - Sally

10. Masoko Tanga

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really struggled to get into this band, really really struggled! It wasn’t until around this time last year I seen Regatta de Blanc remastered edition in the 5 dollar bin at Wal-Mart and I thought that the worst case scenario would be that I bought Message In A Bottle for 5 bucks because I liked that tune. I then proceed to sit down and listen to it all the way through, and I heard what I was missing, some really strong musicianship and great production. So I then picked up this album for pretty cheap to, and then Zenyatta Mondatta (which is my fave) and Ghost In The Machine. I had Synchronicity on vinyl and never cared for it, so I haven’t yet picked that one up. But I got 4 great albums!

Of the 4 I mentioned this is the rawest and weakest in terms of total quality of listen, but I like it still!

Nice post RJ!

Sting's vocal on Roxanne has allways annoyed the hell out of me!!!

Like Scott, I really like "Message...", since I heard it for the first time in the fall of '79, and they have made other great tracks, but I guess I haven't tried too hard, like Scott, so I never really got THAT much in to Police. 

I've allways thought, that Copeland is a great drummer, and I don't think he's underrated, not in europe anyway.

I had a Police kick a few months ago and listened to "Message In A Box" a few times so was a bit burnt out but gave this a listen yesterday and still like it, but it's not my favorite Police album. I like the rawness and bit of whackiness, but if I were to pick a Police album for someone who has never heard them before, I would strangely go with "Ghost In The Machine". This album would be my fourth pick which isn't bad considering "Synchronicity" is way, way, way at the bottom and that's saying a lot since they only had five albums. I'm with Scott, I never really cared for "Synchronicity" give me any of their other four albums any day of the week!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos