Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 101 THE J. GEILS BAND - SANCTUARY (1978)

Words Of Wisdom

The good times are the best times, the bad times fade away

The good times are forever, But now baby, the last time is today

-Seth Justman/Peter Wolf

Artist: The J. Geils Band

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Sanctuary

Released: November 1978

Producer: Seth Justman/Joseph Wissert

Singles: One Last Kiss (#35 - Pop Singles)/Take It Back (#67 - Pop Singles)/Sanctuary

Song Of The Week: One Last Kiss

RIAA Certification: Gold

Album Cover: 6/10

Sometimes, you get lucky.  I was in the used CD store and came across this CD.  The only J. Geils Band album I have ever heard prior to this was Freeze-Frame, and although I like that album alot, I've just never bothered to give them any more attention.  Now I'm wanting some back catalog.  This album is fantastic.  It was released in 1978, their 10th album overall.  The album managed a Gold certification and climbed as high as #49 on the U.S. chart.  Three singles were released, with two of those (see above) managing to chart, but only one of those in the Top 40, and barely at that. 

Every track is good.  I rate on a 3 star basis.  3 stars says that's a very, very good song.  If it's 2 stars, that's a slightly better than average track that I would have no problem listening to, but probably wouldn't put it on a playlist.  And then 1 star means it's below average.  For this album, I count six 3 star songs and three 2 star songs (see track listing below for ratings).  Oh yeah, and don't overlook the guitar playing.  There's no shredding, but it's very steady work from Mr. J. Geils.

Seriously, this is an album that should not be overlooked.  I don't ever remember hearing the single One Last Kiss, but how in the world did that not become a big hit.  That song is awesome. 

I don't know if anyone else will like this as much as me and want to pick it up, but it's not cheap.  The best you can do on Amazon Marketplace is $14.36 (that's with shipping).  Like I said, I got lucky.  I picked it up for $4.80. 

Cover Me: Teresa/The Zac Brown Band

I'm starting a new feature for AOTW.  It's called "Cover Me".  This may or may not show up every week.  But this feature is for a song that just screams at me to be covered.  I'll tell you the song and the band that I think should cover it.  And it will not always be a rock band.  The song Teresa is a very nice, piano driven ballad that I think would be huge for The Zac Brown Band.  Country fans love this type of song and Zac Brown's sound is perfect for it.  I'm sure we'll never know, but I would appreciate my cut if it ever does.

1. I Could Hurt You ***

2. One Last Kiss ***

3. Take It Back **

4. Sanctuary ***

5. Teresa ***

6. Wild Man ***

7. I Can't Believe You **

8. I Don't Hang Around Much More ***

9. Jus' Can't Stop Me **

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good choice, the two albums that bookend this are must buys in my opinion. They are Love Stinks and Monkey Island.

Totally. I have those two, never listened to this one before. 

This was much better than I thought it would be, pretty solid from top to bottom. Maybe I'll buy....

But it's not as good as Monkey Island and Love Stinks!

Those are on my wish list.

I agree, pretty solid! It was a good listen! Nothing really jumped out at me, but I didn't hear a dog either.

Very nice!  I may put this on a wish list but as for purchasing, the first listen didnt get me there quite yet.  But its a nice bridge album between Monkey Island and Love Stinks. 

J Geils for me are those two albums - I have owned a couple others (Hotline and Nightmares...) but ended up turning them back into the used store and havent missed them yet...

But this is a very nice post!  enjoyed this one very much!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos