Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 144 DIO - HOLY DIVER (30TH ANNIVERSARY)

Artist: Dio

Genre: Heavy Metal

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Holy Diver

Released: May 25, 1983

Producer: Ronnie James Dio

Song Of The Week: Holy Diver

Since it's First Friday, and for your pleasure this week, we celebrate another 30th anniversary.  It's the debut from Dio.  As I'm sure you know, Dio is the band created by Ronnie James Dio after his departure from Black Sabbath.  Below are some facts and observations about the album:

• The album reached as high as 56 on the American chart while being certified Platinum by the RIAA (Wikipedia).
  • This album was recorded at Sun City Studio in Los Angeles, the subject of Dave Grohl's documentary that came out earlier this year (Wikipedia)
  • The demonic monster on the album cover is known as Murray (not a very evil sounding name) and serves as the band's mascot (Wikipedia)
  • Supposedly, if you view the Dio logo upside down, it spells either "die" or "devil" (Wikipedia).
  • Vivian Campbell was the band's original lead guitarist.  He appeared on the next two studio albums as well before eventually landing in Def Leppard.
  • This is a terrific album and the best in the Dio catalog if you ask me.
  • I love Vinny Appice's drum work on this album.
  • How cool is that album cover?

1. Stand Up And Shout

2. Holy Diver

3. Gypsy

4. Caught In The Middle

5. Don't Talk To Stranger

6. Straight Through The Heart

7. Invisible

8. Rainbow In The Dark

9. Shame On The Night

Views: 222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interestingly enough, Aldrich is the guitarist (and co-songwriter) on Whitesnake's two most recent albums (Good to be Bad and Forevermore)

I'm gonna check out the new album when it comes out and the two remasters as well.  Reviews on Amazon are good, but no samples to check out.

An amazing album still to this day. I bought this when I first heard "Rainbow In The Dark" and was hooked. Then I bought "The Last In Line" and that was it. I just couldn't stand that album and have never bought another Dio album. Does that make me a bad person?

This album I never get tired of, one of the top debut metal albums of all time, in my book. No filler at all.  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos