Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #174 THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND - BROTHERS AND SISTERS (40TH ANNIVERSARY - 1973)

Artist: The Allman Brothers Band

Genre: Southern Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (1995)

Album: Brothers And Sisters

Released: August 1973

Producer: Johnny Sandlin/The Allman Brothers Band

Best Single: Ramblin' Man

Best Album Cut: Jessica

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from Wikipedia unless otherwise noted.

This week I'm starting a Southern Rock swing.  Jon may even join me.  I'm kicking it off with Brothers And Sisters by The Allman Brothers Band.  I'm certainly no ABB expert.  I'm definitely a casual fan.  This album is full of blues, guitar, piano and anything else you could really want.  It has a running time of just over 38 minutes and is a quick little listen.  

• This is the first ABB album recorded in it's entirety after the death of Duane Allman.
  • It has been certified Platinum by the RIAA and reached number one on the U.S. album chart.
  • It also contains there only big hit, Ramblin' Man, which was a number two single.
  • Berry Oakley appears only on tracks one and two.  He lost his life as a result of a motorcycle accident in Macon, Georgia, not far from where Duane Allman was killed a year earlier.
  • The child on the album cover is Vaylor Trucks, son of Butch Trucks.  The back cover features a picture of Brittany Oakley, daughter of Berry Oakley.

Side One:

1. Wasted Words

2. Ramblin' Man

3. Come And Go Blues

4. Jelly Jelly

Side Two:

5. Southbound

6. Jessica

7. Pony Boy

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice Nice Nice!!!  Now were digging into some seriously cool stuff.  This is childhood material for me.  Stuff my older brothers and his friends jammed to.

Check out the piano/keyboard work on Come and Go Blues and Jelly Jelly, cool stuff.  Soutbound is great!  Jessica, well 'nuff said, heck they even get a little back-woods with Pony Boy to close it out, and they get that right too!  Great band!!

Can't say I've heard this whole album....until now!

I really never got into TABB when I was younger, but really like them now. Probably thought they were too soft back when I was young, especially compared to Molly Hatchet, but I have fixed that error in my ways now since I am more mature and more in tune with the world.

Nice pick. Shame this wasn't childhood material for me since my brother listened to stuff like Tomita. Still, I'm better than Scott.  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos