Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #176 HENRY PAUL BAND - GREY GHOST (1979)

Artist: Henry Paul Band

Genre: Southern Rock/Country Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Grey Ghost

Released: 1979

Producer: Howard Albert/Ron Albert

Lost Gems: So Long/Crossfire/Grey Ghost/All I Need

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from Barnes & Noble.com unless otherwise noted.

This week I'm probably taking an album out of Jon's pile of lost/forgotten albums.  It's Grey Ghost by the Henry Paul Band.  WTF is the Henry Paul Band you may ask?  Well, it's a band that was founded by and featured Henry Paul.  Henry Paul is a singer/songwriter who was a founding member of The Outlaws.  After leaving The Outlaws, he formed this band. They released four albums total.  After the Henry Paul Band disbanded, he returned to The Outlaws for one album.  Leaving The Outlaws again, he founded the country band Blackhawk. Presently he is back in The Outlaws.

What can I say about this album?  It sounds like it was made by the love child of The Eagles, The Outlaws, The Marshall Tucker Band and Crosby, Stills and Nash.  The vocal harmonies are terrific, but not perfect, which I like.  Also, the guitar playing is classic southern rock.  The song So Long is my favorite.  It was covered by The Outlaws on their recent album It's About Pride (2012).  You also must hear Crossfire.  The bass is phenomenal on that song.  A song like All I Need gives me that Eagles and Glenn Frey vibe. And finally, the song Grey Ghost is a tribute to Ronnie Van Zant.  

None of the band's CD's are exactly cheap on Amazon, but I picked the vinyl up for a buck and that's what you have here.

1. So Long

2. Crossfire

3. Foolin'

4. Wood Wind

5. Grey Ghost

6. I Don't Need You No More

7. Lonely Dreamer

8. One-Night Stands

9. You Really Know (What I Mean)

10. All I Need

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This kind of sounded like (The) Outlaws lite. No epic songs which is a bummer. I like the slow buildup with the fiery triple geetar solo for the last half of the song, and that ain't here. But, it's not necessarily a bad thing since he wanted to move on from (The) Outlaws. It's still country rock which is good and there are flashes of nice geetaring. The only stumble is the last song, it sounds like a soft rock song from the 70's, something they did to hit the charts. I agree with "So Long", this version as well as the new one are killer. 

Not a bad listen. I don't have anything from The Henry Paul band, have been interested in hearing it and now I have.

I splurged a buck for the album, so no money wasted.  I like it, but it's definitely middle of the road for the most part.  So Long and Crossfire are easily the best songs here.  If I run across any more for a buck, I'll pick it/them up.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos