Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: Y&T

Genre: Hard Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Black Tiger

Released: 1982

Producer: Max Norman

Meet The Band: Dave Meniketti (Vocals, Guitar)/Joey Alves (Guitar, Vocals)/Phil Kennemore (Bass, Vocals)/Leonard Haze (Drums, Vocals)

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from wikipedia.com unless otherwise noted.

Y&T is your featured band this week.  Black Tiger is the album under the microscope.  And it's all for Niels.   He requested it sometime back and CRB always comes through for it's Bottom Feeders.  Funny thing is, I've never listened to it.  I've owned it for a year or two now, but I just haven't found the time to spin it.  So I'll be listening to this for the first time after this is posted.  I'll certainly chime back in with my opinion as well.  But for now, here are just a couple of tidbits regarding the album and or band.

• This is Y&T's fourth studio album.
  • The band's "classic" logo makes it's first appearance on this album cover.
  • Black Tiger reached number 53 in the UK.
  • The band was originally known as Yesterday & Today and released two albums before shortening the name to Y&T.

In 2012, Martin Popoff published an app for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch titled Ye Olde Metal: Y&T's Black Tiger.  Of course, I wanted to check this out for myself, so I downloaded it for 99 cents.  It is basically some audio and printed visuals regarding the album and band.  It consists of seven sections:

• Recording The Album
  • Album Tracks
  • Album Review - "Ready To Strike"
  • Honourary NWOBHMetallers
  • Album Discography
  • About The Author - Martin Popoff
  • Links

Of course, the album review is by Popoff.  The first section also includes some cool photos.  I haven't explored the entire app, but it appears that it will be well worth the 99 cents paid.  So if you happen to be a big fan of this album and you want this app, just go to the iTunes app store and search Black Tiger.  You can't miss it.

Tracks

1. From The Moon

2. Open Fire

3. Don't Wanna Lose

4. Hell Or High Water

5. Forever

6. Black Tiger

7. Barroom Boogie

8. My Way Or The Highway

9. Winds Of Change

10. Somebody For Me (Bonus Track)

Views: 696

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great album!! First YandT I ever heard and still the best...

I agree, Scott. It was also my first Y&T-album, and I also think, that it's their best one. A couple of my friends bought "Earthshaker" before this one, but I never really got into that one, and never bought it. When I heard the SINGLE "Mean Streak", I really thought, that the "next" album would be better than this one, but it wasn't. Only the song "Mean Streak". Back then in '82, my favorite songs on this album were "Open Fire", "Black Tiger", "Forever" and "Winds Of Change". Those tracks are still good, the rest are not THAT good. Meniketti never got the recognition that he deserved as a great guitar-player. I can't remember, the last time I listened to this album. I never bought it on CD.

I can't believe, that you haven't heard this one before, RJhog?

It's true.  I was just never a big Y&T fan.  I like one or two songs off of Ten (I think), but just never took the time to check out anything else.

Back when this came out it was one of those really cool bands that was still somewhat underground and so they were cool because they werent overplayed and they were left of the mainstream Glam scene that was emerging.  3 geetars and a dude with a big ass bass drum.  And the best part was that Meneketti was the lead everything!  Seen him live and was blown away that one guy could take the lead vocals and lead guitar with such technical precision and make it look easy on stage.  I love that Black Tiger still feels fresh and gives that same feeling of rock and roll rebel when I hear it to this day.

Meneketti will always be a guitar hero to me and a benchmark for stage presence!  If you dont own this or have never heard, listen and then go order, its a must have if you ask me....

Yeah, I just finished listen to the album, and I agree once again. It's still a good album. The start of "Winds Of Change" still makes "shivers down my spine".

This too was my first Y&T album I bought. Plus, it was the first or one of the first cd's I bought on the internet, the only version available at that time was a Japanese version and I still got it. The lyrics are in Japanese so I have no idea what Dave's singing. Bummer, that is. 

It was the song "Forever" that made me want this album. Still think that song kicks ass to this today. Plus seeing the album cover made me REALLY want it. It just screamed METAL!!!!!!! Plus Dave's voice is awesome as well as he geetaring.

This album, "Earthshaker" and "Mean Streak" are must-own albums. They kinda went downhill for awhile after "MEan Streak", but I do like their later year albums, especially "Musically Incorrect".

Nice pick Niels & Rjhog!

Musically incorrect is very good...

This was an okay listen.  Nothing essential in my opinion.  

I do like the tracks Don't Wanna Lose (very nice hook), Winds Of Change and the bonus track Somebody For Me.

The song Barroom Boogie is terrible if you ask me.  And I hate the talking at the beginning of My Way Or The Highway. It reminds me of Sammy Hagar trying to do it when he was in Van Halen.  David Lee Roth is really the only vocalist in my book that does that well.  By the way, Meniketti sounds like Hagar.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos