Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 241 ROBERT PALMER - RIPTIDE (1985 - 30TH ANNIVERSARY)

Artist: Robert Palmer

Genre: Rock

Nationality: British

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Riptide

Producer: Bernard Edwards

Release Date: November 1985

Running Time: 34:55

RJ's Top 3 Songs: 1. Addicted To Love...2. Discipline Of Love...3. Flesh Wound

RIAA Certification: Double Platinum

Peak Billboard Chart Position: #8

Top 40 Singles: Addicted To Love (#1)/I Didn't Mean To Turn You On (#2)/Hyperactive (#33)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

It's the first full week of February, so it's time for an anniversary album.  This week I have Riptide, Robert Palmer's 8th studio album, from 1985.  It's hard to believe that it's been 3o years since this was released.

I had this on cassette back in the day.  I loved it, start to finish.  Palmer touches on many styles including R&B, rock and crooner (think Frank Sinatra).  I still don't think there is a bad song on the album.  Everybody remembers Addicted To Love.  First, because it's been played a billion times, and second, because of the cool video that accompanied the song. In addition to the top 3 songs I listed above, I'm also a big fan of Trick Bag and Get It Through Your Heart.

Several big names made appearances on the album, including Andy Taylor of Duran Duran, Tony Thompson of The Power Station and Chaka Kahn.  Do you own the album?  What did you think of it.  Get your two cents out in the open right now.

Side One:

1. Riptide 

2. Hyperactive

3. Addicted To Love

4. Trick Bag

Side Two:

5. Get It Through Your Heart

6. I didn't Mean To Turn You On

7. Flesh Wound

8. Discipline Of Love

9. Riptide (Reprise)

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, why didn't you state "Andy Taylor from Power Station" and "Tony Thompson from Chic" or "Andy Taylor from Duran Duran" and "Tony Thompson from Chic"" Do you have something against Chic? What's this about Chaka Kahn?

I had this on vinyl when it came out, it is/was definitely a product of the 80's. I haven't heard it in around........30 years, maybe? It's really pretty good, don't know why I haven't bothered replacing it. I wonder how many people own one Robert Palmer album, and this is it? Other than a greatest hits disc, I own no other RP, except for both of the Power Station albums, but that's not really Robert Palmer. 

Nice post, kinda brought back memories I think.  

I don't know how to listen to this since theres no picture to click on...

I'm kidding, my original comment was meant as a parody of Jon...

I first heard Palmer when Bad Case of Loving You was a hit back in 77-78?? and I liked that tune a lot, but really never heard any album tracks of his, and even after the massive success of Addicted to Love, no desire to hear album cuts.  Why?  No idea...

Riptide is a bit a odd opener, short and not really a song but not a interlude or whatever those are called either.  Hyperactive is cool, always thought he'd be more of a rock and roller, this feels very poppy.

Two words to describe Addicted to Love:  Too soon.   but...  I could watch the video on mute?

Trick Bag...  odd tune, again my vision of Palmer was more rock oriented and this isn't fitting well with that vision.  Don't get me wrong, I like this, its different and that's good.  Definitely and 80s tune, the chorus works great the rest is well, odd...

Harry Connick Jr would be thrilled with that next tune, me?  Not so much...  Tis but a flesh wound!  (I skipped the hit tunes due to Too Soon syndrome) - another odd riff followed by a period piece. 

Well the reprise of Riptide brings it all together...  OK, no it doesn't.  This wasn't terrible but it was all over the place.  Interesting but not enough to make want to hear more or go back into his catalog and see what I missed.  Still a good pick and worthwhile listening time. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos