Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 259 HARRY NILSSON - NILSSON SCHMILSSON (1971)

Artist: Harry Nilsson

Genre: Singer Songwriter

Nationality: American

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Nilsson Schmilsson

Producer: Richard Perry

Release Date: June 1971

Running Time: 35:17

RIAA Certification: Gold

Peak Billboard Chart Position: #3 (Billboard)

Singles: Without You (#1)/Jump Into The Fire (#27)/Coconut(#8)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

After slipping back to 1970 last week to post an anniversary album, we head back to 1971 for the last time this week (1972 is up next).  This week's Album of the Week is Nilsson Schmilsson by Harry Nilsson (or just Nilsson if you prefer).  It was a pretty big album, reaching gold certification and posting a number 3 showing on the Billboard charts.  It contained the huge smash number one hit Without You.  That song won a Grammy for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance.  The album also received a Grammy nomination for Album Of The Year, though it lost out to Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel.  

Jump Into The Fire was a pretty big hit, but I can't say I remember ever hearing it on the radio.  Robin Zander covered it on his only "official" solo album, and he did a great job there.  I think everybody our age remembers Coconut.  It was always quite quirky.  

Personally, I think it's a pretty darn good album.  Maybe a bit different than what I usually dig, but good none the less.  What about you?  Do you have any memories of the album? Do you own it or like it?  Talk to me.

Side One:

1. Gotta Get Up

2. Driving Along

3. Early In The Morning

4. The Moonbeam Song

5. Down

Side Two:

6. Without You

7. Coconut

8. Let The Good Times Roll

9. Jump Into The Fire

10. I'll Never Leave You

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's quite a few songs that I've heard on the radio outside of the singles. Gotta Get Up" and "The Moonbeam Song" are a couple more.

But whatever. This is a tremendous album, if someone doesn't like it, they've got problems. I've always got a kick out hearing "The Puppy Song" followed by "You're Breakin' My Heart" back-to-back even though they're not on this album and aren't on the same studio album, but they're so funnily different. 

Anyway, great album no bad or boring tracks.  

Keith Moon's and Ringo's drinking-buddy!

1. Sounds like a McCartney-inspired track. I like it.

2. This one has a Lennon-kind of vocal. I can see, why Nielsson was friends with Ringo (and Lennon for a bit, probably until he pissed in the studio, where Lennon was recording, Record Plant, off course). Very short tracks, though.

3. A quite blues-track. Worst song so far.

4. This one is not bad, but iiiittttsss soooooo ssslllllooooowwwww!!!!!!!!

5. This one sounds like Arcade Fire, but since they are in their 30's, THEY sound like this song. I like this, we're back on track again.

6. Holy shit!! I did NOT realize, that Nielsson wrote/sang this song?! That's an awesome song!! Definitely among the very best songs ever written. CLASSIC!!!

7. Okay, I know this one as well from Reservoir Dogs. I like this as well.

8. Sounds like a cross between Leo Sawyer and some other dude, I can't remember the name of. It's okay, but "harmless".

9. I know this one as well, I just can't remember from where? Side 2 is much better than side 1. Good rock'n'roll this track. Couldn't be Moon on the drums in the end, though, because there's a rythm and a pattern.

10. He can certainly sing, and I've got greater respect for him, after listening to this album, not knowing it was him, when I heard those songs. The last one is just so-so. nothing special.

I've probably heard Nielsson on the radio more than I know, but it was nice listening to a whole album for the first time.. I've read quit a bit about him lately, and for some reason, I though it was that Nielsson singing "Garden Party", but that was Rick, off course, but it's just now, I realized, that Harry was resonsible for a song, just as awesome. I loved both songs back then.

Well, I wont be the one who doesnt like it.., so there!  No opening in this thread for ridicule and joking, at least on my behalf.  Nope not even the slightest crack!

I grew up with this one and The Point which has my favorite Nilsson tune on it, Me and My Arrow.  

Niels is right about that group of partiers that included Nilsson, an infamous bunch to say the least.

The guy is genius, really.  What other artist would get away with a track like Early In The Morning and Coconut and make them sound so cool?  And check the production out, this is 1971?  Way ahead of his time.  Without You is still timeless and contemporary, its a staple on every singing competition on TV now.  All this and drum solo!

I must go back and check out the Point now...  Nice Work Boss!

A GREAT album among many by Harry.

On his first album Harry wrote a beauty called Without Her, just poetry!

But Without You I believe was written by Pete Ham & the guys from Badfinger.

My favorite here- and as a kid would just make me completely nuts, I mean crank it up ears to the speakers- is the long version of Jump Into The Fire!

That will always be on my list of faves!

Nice pick,

Mike

Thanks, and I think you are correct regarding the authors of Without You.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos