Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 305 AC/DC - FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK WE SALUTE YOU (1981 - 35TH ANNIVERSARY)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

AC/DC has spent a fair amount of time in the news lately, so let's look at one of their two number one albums. For Those About To Rock We Salute You was released 35 years ago (1981) and hit the top of the Billboard 200 chart during the last week of the year.  It also stayed there for the first two weeks of 1982, giving it a three week run.  The album sold very well, receiving a 4 X Platinum certification from the RIAA.  A couple of singles were released (Let's Get It Up and the title track), but neither broke the Top 40 in the U.S.  

I'm sure most of you serious rock fans know that this was Brian Johnson's second album fronting the band.  I remember that I've always loved his first album with the band, Back In Black, but other than the title track, this one never registered with me.  However, in the last year or two, I've found a new respect for his work with AC/DC.  So I'm more inclined to listen to this one now than I used to be.

It's a shame what has happened with the band in the last few months, and I say that without judgement on either side of the fence.  I imagine that AC/DC, at this point, without Brian Johnson, will be a train wreck.  I guess that remains to be seen.  Less than nine US dollars gets you this bad boy on Amazon.  If you don't already have it, I'm not sure what you are waiting on...

1. For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)

2. Put The Finger On You

3. Let's Get It Up

4. Inject The Venom

5. Snowballed

6. Evil Walks

7. C.O.D.

8. Breaking The Rules

9. Night of the Long Knives

10. Spellbound

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For some reason, I can't copy/paste the text, I wrote on FB?

Okay,in other words: This was great, when I bought it in November/December 1981....but only for a few weeks. I grew tired of it pretty fast. It wasn't until a few years ago, when I decided to really give it a second chance, that I found out, that it's actually a pretty good album, only not near as good as anything they had released until then. But it turned out to be the last classic AC/DC-album, and I love Mutt Lange's production-work. I love it, when a song start right after another one, without pause. The last 2 or 3 songs on the album are filler. The first filler on an AC/DC-album. From now on, there would be 1 or 2 good songs and the rest filler on AC/DC's albums, with a few exceptions, very few.

With that said, I was never a Brian Johnson-fan, only for a brief moment around the release of Back In Black. To me, there's only one singer in that band, and it's not Axl Rose either. The two mentioned dudes are only hired hands. Get over it.

Personally, I think Brian Johnson put a lot more into the band than Scott did.

uh...  please expand on your theory...

This came out the day before my birthday in '81 and it was a HUGE event (the album release, not my birthday). All the talk leading up to the releases was all about a new AC/DC album.

But, before this was the release of "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" and that was so big that a few of us cut school just to pick up the album. Mine was on cassette because I had one of those 10 lb Walkman's. See? That's what the yutes today are missing. They don't have the gumption to cut school because of an album release since they're too lazy to go to the mall since they can just get it on the internet. Stoopid yutes.

My mother saw them in MSG on this tour, she went with my younger sister. She thought Angus was so cute when he mooned the audience and I swear she was a bit stoned when she got home, hopefully from breathing in the fumes from others. Then she went out and bought other AC/DC albums. It was just very strange to me.

She was excited when "Flo On The Wall" came out. Had to correct her by telling her that it was "FLY On The Wall". Kinda funny. 

Wid that said, very worth followup to BIB. Plus the cannons from the title track during concerts can rupture your head. 

"Inject The Venom" is righteously cool!!!!!!

I like this album, liked it when it came out, and like still to this day.  Though I will grant you that the title track is way overplayed, even to this day.  Fire!

For those who owned this in 1981 it sounded much like Back In Black in production only, the songs are weaker no doubt but how can you top Back In Black?  Not possible in the Brian Johnson era.  This is an album chock full of excellent tunes, while most tracks approach the realm of great, none quite get over that line. Fire!

An absolute must have and an album that gets some spins still to this day.  A fine choice!  Fire! Nice post! Fire!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos