Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 347 BOB SEGER & THE SILVER BULLET BAND - STRANGER IN TOWN (1978)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week we travel back to 1978 and feature Stranger In Town as the CRB Album of the Week.  It was Bob Seger's tenth album overall, but his second album with The Silver Bullet Band.  However, The Silver Bullet Band only appeared on about half of the album, with the other half featuring the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section. 

It was a very popular album, eventually being certified 6 X Platinum by the RIAA as well as reaching number 4 on the Billboard chart.  Four singles scored well on the charts, with Still The Same being the biggest hit, topping out at number four (Hollywood Nights #12, We've Got Tonite #13 and Old Time Rock And Roll #28).  Really, seven of the nine tracks can still be heard on radio stations that play classic rock music.

As far as guest appearances go, Glen Frey performs the solo on Till It Shines while his Eagles band mate, Don Felder, performs the solo on Ain't Got No Money. 

I remember hearing these songs so often on the radio.  Hollywood Nights is most definitely my favorite Seger track, but Still The Same is way up there as well.  They both tell great, great stories.  One hidden gem here is The Famous Final Scene.  That song is amazing.  A great vocal performance by Seger just makes the lyrics regarding the end of a relationship hit really hard.  

Side One:

1. Hollywood Nights

2. Still The Same

3. Old Time Rock And Roll

4. Till It Shines

5. Feel Like A Number

Side Two:

6. Aint' Got No Money

7. We've Got Tonite

8. Brave Strangers

9. The Famous Final Scene

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just picked up a used copy of this one tonight!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos