Classic Rock Bottom

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

Let's be honest, I really haven't been in the mood to do an Album of the Week post. Then, I started searching the releases from 2001 to see what was available (obviously, something I own as well).  It didn't help my mood. Should I post Nickelback?  How 'bout Sevendust?  Maybe I should go with Staind.  These are all bands I actually liked back then.  I thought about ELO, but that had already been posted.  Then I thought about Journey, but nobody cares about the album they released in 2001.  

I had to pick something, so I went with Lateralus by Tool.  The album debuted at number one in the US, selling enough copies in the first week to be certified Gold.  It has since been certified Double Platinum.  None of the singles cracked the US Top 40, with only one (Schism) charting at all.  

I don't think Tool is for everybody, but then again, who is?  

Tracks:

1. The Grudge

2. Eon Blue Apocalypse

3. The Patient

4. Mantra

5. Schism

6. Parabol

7. Parabola

8. Ticks & Leeches

9. Lateralus

10. Disposition

11. Reflection

12. Triad

13. Faaip de Oiad

Views: 269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a buddy of mine that loved the album Undertow, tried to play it for me several times - this was back 98-99.  It was a no go for me at the time.  Maybe its time to try again?

Yeahhhhhhhhh..................

Good thing you didn't end up posting any of those first three albums you mentioned. Why? Because they suck and they most definitely suck even worse when compared to this opus.

What kinda sucks is that I had no interest in a band called "Tool" before I heard Schism on the radio. Hmmm, guess I was listening to the radio back then? Doesn't make sense, but that was a long time ago so I guess it does. Still, I went ahead and got this and was blown away, but it didn't make me want to buy any of their previous albums which I still haven't done. I did get the followup which had pop up 3D glasses, and it's ok, but doesn't reach this album's awesomeness. So I still haven't bought any albums that come out before this because I might be letdown.

Killer album.

Awesome album! One of the 5 or so best albums the last 20 years.

But I've told about that before around here a couple of times. "The Grudge" and "Schimes" are out of this world.

Sadly Tool couln't follow this album up, and "10,000 Days" or whatever it was called, was a huge disappointment.

And with Tool being a band, that makes a new album each 10th year or more, I fear this is the one and only. I know, people rave about the album that came before, but I don't care about that one either.

10/10

Stay away from Nickelback please...  And as for Journeys 2001 album (Arrival) I actually think its a fine ablum, a bit on the mellow side but a very melodic and catchy album from beginning to end, I would have given you a favorable review for posting that one.  But you couldn't have know that...

This on the otherhand is new to me, new because I hated Undertow and dismissed the band in "totality" (I just wanted to use that word one more time since we haven't heard it enough lately).  The Grudge is way cool though! The heaviness works quite well, I love the snare drums feel even though its not as deep it has a cool quality about it, and the drummer hits hard.  I also am digging the geetar work, I love the uniqueness and experimental aspect to a lot of the tracks, like Schism these tracks so far have a progressive quality to them that's appealing.

Parabol is the first hiccup but Parabola I assume is a companion tune works OK to save it.

At 13 long tracks its definitely a product of the times, easily I would consider it a double album, maybe that is the intent, I don't know.  But I am not complaining I like it!

Disposition is the only other throw away I can call out as I wont even qualify track 13 as a tune, it seems to be nothing more than an outro...

Nice work boss!!!

Have you already forgotten The Grudge and Schism from VOTW, more than once in fact?!
I'm not angry, but dissapointed ;-)

I know you are asking Scott, but I've forgotten stuff that was posted last week already.

Oh heck yes I remember!

Did I like it?
You loved it, Scott, and thanked me several times
for posting those videos. You even talked about sending me some money?!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos