Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 65.5 TEMPLE OF THE DOG - TEMPLE OF THE DOG (1991) SPECIAL REQUEST

Artist: Temple Of The Dog

Album: Temple Of The Dog

Producer: Rick Parasher/Temple Of The Dog

Band Members: Jeff Ament/Matt Cameron/Chris Cornell/Stone Gossard/Mike McCready/Eddie Vedder

Singles: Hunger Strike/Say Hello To Heaven

Favorite Single: Say Hello To Heaven

Favorite Album Cut: Call Me A Dog

Album Cover: 3/10

An abbreviated half-week Album of the Week for now.  This is by special request by Scott, who heard a song by Temple Of The Dog on Michael Andrade's radio show and wanted to hear more.  So here it is.  Just a couple of comments.  Eddie Vedder provides the lead vocals on Hunger Strike, with Chris Cornell on backing vocals for that song.  This is the only album ever released by the band, and is a tribute to Andrew Wood (Wood died of a heroin overdose in 1990), who was the vocalist for Mother Love Bone and a very good friend of Cornell's. 

I haven't heard this album in it's entirety in a while, but I do remember that the first six songs are very good to me.  Give it a spin and see what you think.

1. Say Hello To Heaven

2. Reach Down

3. Hunger Strike

4. Pushing Forward Back

5. Call Me A Dog

6. Times Of Trouble

7. Wooden Jesus

8. Your Saviour
9. Four Walled World

10. All Night Thing

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ive been looking forward to this since hearing Michaels show...

Say Hello To Heaven: Like!!!  Nice slow to mid tempo opener, love Cornell's geetar work (assuming its his), even if its not I recogonize the writing style, I also here some of McCartneys Let Me Roll It on pieces as well.  Cool track!

Reach Down: Geetar opening and sound is really cool.  Song is average until the 4:30 mark and then its gets really cool!

Hunger Strike: I really like this too. 

Pushing Forward Back: I hear Pearl Jam on this the most so far... Would fit niecly on Ten.  Im sure its No for Jon, but Yes for me!

Call Me A Dog: Not too bad, but not in the running for my favorite

Time Of Trouble: Well this is what started this whole thing to begin with!  Knwoing this turned into a PJ song, I liked it when I heard it, liked evfen more when I heard it back to back with the PJ version.

Wooden Jesus:  Experimental track, clearly a Vedder track.  Not too bad

Your Savior:  Love this!  More slick geetars!

Four Walled World: probably my least favorite, but still not bad

All Night Thing: Kind oif like this one also, really different, fits well as the last track though

The band is not fully submerged in the grunge movement yet, and although you can hear it coming, its innovative to a degree, of course Cornell is always innovative.  I liked this one.  Putting it on my wish list...

I never really liked this album. Bought it back in '94, but was dissapointed. Too boring
My better half picked this up at a garage sale (along with a bunch of other CD's) for a buck apiece a couple years ago and I am FINALLY getting around to listening to them all. This is in my stack o' stuff to listen to while going back and forth to work so I will hold off on my opinion (which, of course, is never wrong).

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos