Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 88 ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION - CHAMPAGNE JAM (1978)

Artist: Atlanta Rhythm Section

Genre: Southern Rock

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Studio Albums: 13 (1972-1999)

Album: Champagne Jam

Released: March 1978

Producer: Buddy Buie/Robert Nix

Singles: Champagne Jam/I'm Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight/Imaginary Lover

Hidden Gems: Large Time/The Great Escape/Evileen

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Album Cover: 6/10

I've got a little "southern rock" fer ya this week.  It's the boys from Doraville, Georgia, otherwise known as The Atlanta Rhythm Section.  I certainly don't have a vast knowledge of this band, but I did see them in the first ever rock concert held in the Augusta-Richmond County Civic Center, now known as The James Brown Arena.  I don't remember exactly when that was, but it was probably in support of this album. 

The album starts of with the ultra-cool "Large Time".  This is the perfect example of rhythm guitar playing that is as good as any lead guitar playing you've ever heard.  Everybody has heard I'm Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight.  The pace is slowed for Normal Love, but followed up with the party anthem and title track, Champagne Jam.  I love the bass solo on this song.

Side two kicks off with my favorite ARS song, Imaginary Lover.  The Ballad Of Lois Malone is okay, not great, but that's followed up by two terrific hidden gems in The Great Escape and Evileen. 

Do yourself a favor and check this one out.  You get some very nice guitar work and that great southern flavor.  And don't you worry, I'll have more "southern rock" for you througout the year.

1. Large Time

2. I'm Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight

3. Normal Love

4. Champagne Jam

5. Imaginary Lover

6. The Ballad Of Lois Malone

7. The Great Escape

8. Evileen

Views: 643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found this album in a bin at a grocery store about 10 years ago, it was about $5, I liked it and then I had to search down "Quinella" which I also like.

As the pioneering thinker on this site, Ive already included Large Time as a Hidden Treasure almost exactly one year ago (http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/scotts-hidden-trea...) - Clearly Im sticking with Large Time with Evileen a close second as my choices for Hidden Gems.  (I kid)

Ive always had a soft spot for ARS, I remember hearing So Into You on the radio back in 75-76??  Great tune and then seeing them on the Midnight Special playing Imaginary Lover.  Also featured Ronnie Hammond on the DEAD DEAD DEAD SHT list (http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/scotts-hidden-trea...)

Great choice for this weeks AOTW, (which fits your new criteria very well I must say) ...  Also check out other ARB releases ...

• Quinella (As Jon notes)
  • Red Tape
  • A Rock and Roll Alternaitve
  • Underdog

I'd list more but these are the ones I am familiar with

"pioneering thinker"?

You mean something like this?

Yes...  Inspiration comes from many places!

Totally forgot about Large Time.  Love that guitar work.

I got to see these guys live quite a few times. To me, they are the epitome of a band that can rock, but also slow it down, and sound good doing either style. Listening to this takes me back to my youth, and my college days.

ARS is definitely a part of my personal "soundtrack of life"...if that makes any sense. I'm sitting here listening to "I'm Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight"...and I'm thinking of her!! Ahh, my college love...I wonder where she is now?

It seems like Undergog is a lost ATR release, it is not on Itunes or Spotify. I found that one on vinyl too.

I like the first song, Do it or Die, Born Ready, and Indigo Passion.

But Do it or Die is the only song I can find for download. Oh well. :(

I found this on Vinyl today for $1 so I am going to go listen to it. Does anyone have the lyrics to all the songs? Are they in the CD?  Let me know. I'll give an opinion once I listen to this.

I've never heard I'm Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight. I'm probably too young, or the classic rock radio stations just never played it around here. Anyway, I like that song.

Side two of the record is just OK, side one is much better.

Pretty cool album. Nice artwork.

My record skipped on the first song - BOO :( It looked pretty good, I might just have a cheap player.

I'm not sure if I'll keep the vinyl or trade it back for something else. But a few of these songs are worth owning mp3s from Itunes!

Great find! Thanks!

No lyrics in my CD.

Thanks. Just didn't know if I wanted a real CD, or download it, or what. I hate burned CDs though! Half the time they don't play in anything other than my car. Tax money, new car stereo IPOD ready with HD radio. What I need! :)

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos