Classic Rock Bottom

So, another year is in the books, and despite all of the talk about rock music being dead, we are still getting some great music from classic bands and newer bands alike.  

The Top 10 was compiled by nominations from six of our members.  Each member sent in a list of their personal Top 10 albums and I crunched the numbers.  Basically, it worked like this.  Each album listed received a point value ranging from 1 to 10.  If an album was number one on someone's list, it got 10 points.  Tenth place albums got 1 point and so forth and so on.  I then looked only at albums that appeared on more than one person's list.  I added up the total point value and added 1 bonus point for each list that album appeared on.  That total is what determined the Top 10 list for Classic Rock Bottom.  Each albums point total is in parenthesis beside the album name.

After you read the list, please comment.  Let us know what you think.  Also, please feel free to include your personal Top 10 Albums of 2011.

So without further delay, here are Classic Rock Bottom's Top 10 Albums for 2011.

1. Black Country Communion - 2 (37)

2. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (30)

3. Whitesnake - Forevermore (26)

4. Chickenfoot - III (20)

5. Electric Boys - And Them Boys Done Swing (18)

6. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events (16)

7. Neal Morse - Testimony 2 (15)

8. Warrant - Rockaholic (15)

9. Yes - Fly From Here (15)

10. Opeth - Heritage (14)

Views: 521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting...  Heres my submission compared to the outcome RJ's calculations.

1. Foo Fighters – Wasting Light

2. Black Country Communion - 2

3. Dream Theater – A Dramatic Turn of Events

4. The Cars – Move Like This

5. Whitesnake - Forevermore

6. Alice Cooper – Welcome 2 My Nightmare

7. Yes – Fly From Here

8. Neal Morse – Testimony 2

9. The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band – How I Go

10. Edens Curse - Trinity

...and here's mine:

1. Neal Morse - Testimony 2

2. Yes - Fly From Here

3. Opeth - Heritage

4. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

5. P.J. Harvey - Let England Shake

6. Black Country Communion - 2

7. Rival Sons - Pressure And Time

8. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events

9. The Black Keys - El Camino

10. Tom Waits - Bad As Me

My thoughts are, that Whitesnake, Electric Boys and Warrant have nothing to do on that list!! And I predict, that Jon has Opeth on 7th place.

why did you think I had Opeth 7th? Did you crunch the numbers backwards?

I'm good, huh?! 

No kidding!

And mine (the only one that matters!)

1. Electric Boys--And Them Boys Done Swang

2. Uriah Heep--Into The Wild

3. Anthrax--Worship Music

4. Megadeth--Th1rt3en

5. Edguy--Age Of The Joker

6. Queensryche--Dedicated To Chaos

7. Opeth--Heritage

8. Journey--Ecl1ps3

9. Black Country Communion--2

10. The Pretty Reckless--Light Me Up

Surprised that you have Journey on there... 

I really like it. It's heavier than their recent output and it doesn't bore me, like their recent output.

Interesting that I own two CDs on the list and don't plan to buy any of the others.

My list is not yet complete. I have a few more days and one more album coming in that I want to hear before I finalize the list.

I currently have 5 of the top ten....1st through 4, and then the Warrant. Will be adding the Electric Boys soon.

Have no interest in the Dream Theatre, never liked Yes at all. Would like to hear more of the Neil Morse, and find the Opeth interesting, because so many people have it ranked. I always figured with a name like Opeth, that they are a speed, or thrash metal type band? Someone enlighten me on Opeth.

Neils is welcome to his opinion (that's the great thing about music...as I've said before, nobody is wrong...what you like you like, and what you don't, you don't)...but I had the Whitesnake, the Warrant, and The Electric Boys all in my top five. I'm obviously partial to guitar based rock, and dont get into much that is really, really filled with a ton of keyboards.

Now don't get me wrong, because I love bands that have a large keyboard presence in their music...such as Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, etc. But those bands still feature heavy guitar.

Sure, everybody's entitled to their opinion. It would be rather booring, if we all liked the exactly same 10 albums. 

Opeth is/was a Speed or Trash-metal band as far as I know, but the album released in 2011 is not Trash at all. It's a Prog-rock album, and a very good one. Be sure to get the version with 2 extra tracks. One of those tracks are in my top-3 of songs from 2011.

Yes, Niels is correct.  Heritage is not thrash at all.  Definitely prog. 

Gordon, I think you would like and appreciate the guitar work on it, it's quite good.  As a matter of fact, I still haven't decided who to give my vote for guitarist of the year to.  Either Joe B. or Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth.  However, I'm not sure you would like it overall.  But then again, you never know.  It's somewhere in one of the fairly recent NMC's.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos