Classic Rock Bottom

1986 Year in music...

• January 4 – Phil Lynott died, bassist/singer and co-founder of Thin Lizzy, 36 (heart failure & pneumonia)
  • January 23 – The first induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame takes place. The first artists to be honoured are Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Elvis Presley.
  • February 23 – In honor of the 20th anniversary of The Monkees' first appearance on television, MTV broadcasts Pleasant Valley Sunday, a 22-hour marathon of Monkees episodes.
  • March 27 – Van Halen opens its 5150 tour, the first with new lead singer Sammy Hagar.
  • May 25 – Norwegian band a-ha wins a record-breaking eight awards at the MTV Video Music Awards show.
  • May 30 – The Monkees begin their highly successful 20th Anniversary Reunion Tour.
  • June 7 - Queen starts The Magic Tour which becomes their final tour with all original member and also their most successful tour.
  • September 27 – A tour bus carrying the heavy metal band Metallica crashes in Sweden, killing their influential bassist, Cliff Burton.
  • Also, Alice Cooper returns to the mainstream after a two-year break. The Nightmare Returns Tour goes on to become one of the best selling tours of 1986.

My Top 5 Albums of 1986

1. Honeymoon Suite - The Big Prize
  2. Van Halen - 5150
  3. Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
  4. Journey - Raised on Radio
  5. Boston - Third Stage

PLAYLIST --> http://www.podsnack.com/CA69EFD9E8C/a1nqraqs

Judas Priest
Turbo

1 - Locked In

While Turbo sold well initially, going Gold (RIAA) on 10 June 1986 and Platinum on 24 July 1987, and reaching No. 33 in the UK and No. 17 on Billboard 200, the long-term reaction from fans was quite negative. The band's use of guitar synthesizers and the introduction of hints of glam metal into their image were particularly unpopular with the band's fanbase at the time. Sales tapered off and the subsequent live album from the otherwise successful "Fuel for Life" tour tanked by the band´s standards, only going Gold after a string of Platinum certified albums.

Aside from the title track, most of the songs on Turbo disappeared from the live setlist by 1989.

Rob Halford referred to Turbo as the "love/hate Judas Priest album". In 2008 he told Kerrang!:

The only agenda we've ever had in Priest was to really give every album its own life and I think we've achieved that on everything from Rocka Rolla up to the new one, Nostradamus. That said, if ever there was a controversial record in terms of what people might have expected from us, it's Turbo. It was the fact that we moved into a different atmosphere, but that's where we were at at that particular time. Some of the technological advances like the pedal boards that Glenn and KK used were giving us options for different sounds and experimentation. Personally I think there are still some great tracks on that album ... It's one of the recordings that divide opinion."

Triumph
The Sport of Kings

2 - Tears In The Rain

On June 7th, 1985 Triumph was ranked #2 in Performance Magazine's 6-week period ending "Tops in Performance" list. Triumph would take a more commercial turn with their 1986 studio album, The Sport of Kings. Rik Emmett's "Somebody's Out There" reached the American Top 40 in late 1986, gaining some radio and video exposure. Written and recorded in the 11th hour of The Sport of Kings sessions, in an attempt to deliver a hit 'single' to satisfy the demands of the record company, Rik Emmett's "Somebody's Out There" made it to No. 27 on Billboard during Sept. and Oct. of 1986, climbing higher than Hold On. It stands as the highest-charting song from the Triumph catalogue. Gil Moore's "Tears in the Rain", cut from the same cloth as "Mind Games," did not fare as well in the charts. Adding Rick Santers to their line-up, Triumph toured with Swedish guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen across the United States.

Queen
A Kind of Magic

3 - One Vision

The album enjoys the status of an unofficial soundtrack for the 1986 film Highlander (for which no official soundtrack album was released). The title, "A Kind of Magic", may have come from one of the lines Connor MacLeod (Christopher Lambert) says to describe his immortality. Six out of nine songs on the album appeared in the film, although in different versions. The three songs that did not appear in Highlander are "Pain Is So Close to Pleasure", "Friends Will Be Friends" and "One Vision" (which was featured a year earlier in the film Iron Eagle). Conversely, a recording of "Theme from New York, New York" made specifically for a scene in Highlander does not appear on A Kind of Magic, and in fact has never been released in album form to date. According to a statement by Brian May on the Greatest Video Hits 2 DVD (2003), at least at that point, he had the intention to work on a proper Highlander soundtrack in the future. In one scene, a snippet of "Hammer to Fall" plays on a radio, a song from the previously released The Works album.

Megadeth
Peace Sells...But Who's Buying

4 - Peace Sells

In retrospect, Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? has been regarded as a milestone of the thrash metal movement. Along with Metallica's Master of Puppets and Slayer's Reign in Blood, which were also released in 1986, Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? is considered pivotal in giving prominence to extreme metal. Allmusic's Steve Huey recognized the record as a notable achievement in the band's history, and called it a "classic of early thrash". Similarly, Chad Bowar of About.com said that the album captured Megadeth in their prime, and recommended it as a "mandatory" recording for the fans of this genre. Sputnikmusic's Mike Stagno named the album a "bona-fide thrash metal masterpiece" and said it was the main reason why Megadeth became one of the leading acts of the thrash scene. Joel McIver, writing in Record Collector, said that the album's main strength was its fluidity, with all songs moving in a continuous, steady stream. According to him, the album was "flip the bird" to the critics who were hostile to this type of music at the time.

Iron Maiden
Somewhere In Time

5 - Stranger In A Strange Land

Somewhere in Time is notable for lacking any songwriting credits from lead vocalist Bruce Dickinson, whose material was rejected by the rest of the band. Dickinson had written several "acoustic-based" songs, explaining that "I felt we had to come up with our Physical Graffiti or Led Zeppelin IV ... we had to get it onto another level or we'd stagnate and drift away," although Steve Harris "thought he'd lost the plot completely," surmising that "he was probably more burnt out than anyone at the end of that last tour." On the other hand, the record is also notable for the number of "fully formed" songs written by guitarist Adrian Smith, who wrote both of the album's singles: "Wasted Years" and "Stranger in a Strange Land".

Although "space and time" are common themes throughout the release, with songs such as "Wasted Years", "Caught Somewhere in Time", "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Deja-Vu", the band never intended for it to be a concept album, with Harris stating, "We certainly never went in there and said, 'Right let's write a load of songs on the subject of time.'" While the majority of the release's songs have disappeared from the band's live shows shortly after its supporting tour, "Wasted Years" and "Heaven Can Wait" have often been played since. Performances of "Heaven Can Wait" have featured a group of local fans and celebrities invited onstage to sing along during the song's middle section.

Views: 261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This time, I had to use Wikipedea to remember, and this is (all of?) the "new" albums, I bought in 1986:

Turbo - Judas Priest

Rage For Order - Queensryche

Vigilante - Magnum

Little Miss Dangerous - Ted Nugent

Russian Roulette - Accept 

5150 - Van Halen

Get Close - The Pretenders

Somewhere In Time - Iron Maiden

Rock The Nations - Saxon

Fahrenheit - Toto

Master Of Puppets - Metallica

So - Peter Gabriel

Slippery When Wet - Bon Jovi

A Kind Of Magic - Queen

The Final Countdown - Europe

Whiplash Smile - Billy Idol

Constrictor - Alice Cooper

Seventh Star - "Black Sabbath"

Mean Business - The Firm

The Ultimate Sin - Ozzy Osbourne

Dirty Works - Rolling Stones

The Seer - Big Country

Eat'Em and Smile - David Lee Roth

VVI - Vinnie Vincent Invasion

Thrill Of a Lifetime - King Cobra

Mechanical Resonance - Tesla (Maybe, I got it in '87. Can't remember)

The Doctor - Cheap Trick

The Spirit of Kings - Triumph

Third Stage - Boston (I THINK, I got this a little later than '86?!)

18 - Chicago

Dancing Undercover - Ratt  

My top 5 at that time:

1. Rage For Order - Queensryche

2. Turbo - Judas Priest

3. Vigilante - Magnum

4. Master Of Puppets - Metallica

5. The Ultimate Sin - Ozzy

Now, it's this:

1. Rage For Order - Queensryche

2. Master Of Puppets - Metallica

3. Mecahnical Resonance - Tesla

4. So - Peter Gabriel

5. Vigilante - Magnum

1986 was the best year since '83, maybe even '82, even though, some of the albums, that I bought, was complete trash.

Agreed, 86 feels much better than 84 and 85. Rock attempted a comeback of sorts. Wonder how the rest of the decade will play out!. Nice list my friend...

86 <  84 & 85

Smiley= 1986

Smiley= 1985

Smiley= 1984

I don't have a response to that! Good one!

Thank you, Bro'

As a matter of fact, I have allready made my lists of purchases from the rest of the 80's, since it was fun doing them.

Priest -  I've never gotten into Priest.  I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before.  But once again, this is a cool song.  The vocal is cool as is the guitars.  You are obviously gonna make me break down and pick up some Priest.

Triumph - Way cool song.  I had never heard this until a couple of years ago.  I don't remember it from the radio whatsoever.  But it's so good, really should have been a hit on par with Magic Power.  It's definitely in my Triumph Top 10.

Queen - Great guitars, but just an okay song for me.  Why in the world does he say fried chicken at the end?  That's so silly to me.  I've never seen the movie.

Deth - At one time, the only Megadeth I cared for was Countdown To Extinction.  It is a masterpiece.  But I have certainly enjoyed more and more of the band's catalog over the last couple of years.  "I didn't know you had any feelings".  I love that line.  I'm a fan of great vocals, and that is not what Mustaine brings to the table.  But you just get used to it.  I need this album.

Maiden - Yet another band I have grown my appreciation for in the last couple of years.  First, I absolutely love the album cover and how well it works with the album title.  Man, this song is outstanding.  Vocally, musically, lyrically, everything.  I saw this somewhere the other day and didn't pick it up, maybe the used CD store.  I couldn't remember if I had it or not.  I don't.  I need this album too.

Super selection of songs Scott.  It's hard to rank 'em, they are all so good (except for One Vision, which would definitely rank at the bottom of these five for me).  I have only two of these five albums, but I'd like to pick all 3 of the ones I don't have up.

Sweet! Love the feedback... I really am enjoying this series! Tons of fun and memories. May do the same for the 70s sometime later in the year...

That's a good idea.

No, it's not. I wasn't even alive in the 70's.

Cool.. Then it's settled. We'll do it!

The "fried chicken" was kind of a joke. I believe they needed something to rhyme, one vision, fried chicken. I think it's kinda funny. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos