Classic Rock Bottom

This being August which is the 8th month of the year, you would think that I would be hitting 80's stuff. But that's not to be.

Yet.

For some reason, this album has been stuck in my head for the last week or so. So stuck in my head that I decided I would stick with the 70's a bit longer.

So here we go with 1972's Manassas or Stephen Stills or Stephen Stills with Manassas. The name Manassas stuck with this group of musicians because of the picture taken for the album cover. See, it was taken at a train station in Manassas, VA and the name came from that large sign hanging overhead....

This is a double album with side one influenced by jazz, latin and blues, side two is country-western, side three is folk-rock and side four is rock (which includes "The Treasure" which was done in one take. With all the different styles on the album, there is really no jarring difference between each side, they all blend in quite nicely.

Members of the group include Stephen Still (CSN), Chris Hillman (The Byrds), Dallas Taylor (CSN), Paul Harris (session musician for B.B. King and many others), Joe Lala (Blues Image), Al Perkins (Flying Burrito Brothers) and Fuzzy Samuels (CSN). 

Manassas

The Raven

1. Song Of Love

2. Medley

(a) Rock & Roll Crazies

(b) Cuban Bluegrass

3. Jet Set (Sigh)

4. Anyway

5. Both Of Us (Bound To Lose)

The Wilderness

6. Fallen Eagle

7. Jesus Gave Love Away For Free

8. Colorado

9. So Begins The Task

10. Hide It So Deep

11. Don't Look At My Shadow

Consider

12. It Doesn't Matter

13. Johnny's Garden

14. Bound To Fall

15. How Far

16. Move Around

17. The Love Gangster

Rock & Roll Is Here To Stay

18. What To Do

19. Right Now

20. The Treasure (Take One)

21. Blues Man

Availability:Remastered will set you back about $9.

Views: 1481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You forgot to dedicate this to Norma Jean and Jaclyn!

May have to listen to this in chunks...  But I recently picked up a Neil Young/Stephen Still collaboration - Long May You Run - which contains some of the same feel to it and its extremely enjoyable to listen to.  I really like side 1!  Can't honestly say that the thought of a Country Western side thrills me, but I will be back to take that on eon next...

Side 1 is a great from top to bottom, love the track BOTH OF US.  Really nice!

Was gonna listen to some of this today, but work really blew.  Way too busy to listen.  Will make another attempt tomorrow.

So I checked out side 1 and 2 today.  You are right, side 2 is definitely country influenced.  It sounds good though.

I think Stills has a great voice.  I always like the CSN stuff with him on lead vocals.  I'm pretty sure I read where he was either wanted for the Monkees role that eventually went to Peter Tork (name spelling?) or either he auditioned for that role or something or other.  He and Tork even favor each other.

As far as the best songs, for me it's Jet Set (Sigh) on side 1 and So Begins The Task on side 2.  Nice post Jon, I'll check out sides 3 and 4 later.

I listened to the rest of this today.  I actually started today with the last song on side 2.  It's quite country, but I totally dig it. 

I thought sides 3 and 4, as a whole, were even better than the first two sides.  The standouts to me were It Doesn't Matter (outstanding guitar solo on this one), Johnny's Garden (I've actually heard this before), Right Now and The Treasure Take 1.  All of these were great.

I'd really love to have this on vinyl.  I think I'll check for it next time I go to the flea market.

Great post Jon.

So I'm on the country side now and Ive made no bones about my feeling for traditional country music, but bands like this dont do Country in the traditional radio formatted way so they get a chance.  And this is purrty countrified!

First two tracks are little too country for my tastes, but I like the feel of Colorado (kind of reminds me of early Poco!)  And I liked the next track as well, and then the last two were not for me at all..

So for those keeping score (which is Jon, RJ and ,myself since everyone else is missing out on this!)

Side 1 - 1

Side 2 - 0

I've never really been a Steven Stills fan, so I was a little hesitant about listening to this. While I liked his work with CS&N, his solo work never really interested me. Still (Not Stills), I went in listening to this with an open mind.

The Raven - It had a bluesy, southern rock feel to it. Some very nice guitar & the vocals were spot on, for this type of music. I could sit back & jam to this! I liked all 5 songs, so thumbs up for the Raven!

The Wilderness - Wow, Bluegrass, now I really like this!!! I love the fiddle & Stills' twang, this is good stuff. It has a great mountain feel to it.  Another clean sweep, I liked all the songs here!

Consider - Folksy, now this is more of what I was expecting. "It Doesn't Matter" is not bad, but the rest of this is the Steven Stills, that doesn't really interest me. Some of the guitar work is nice, but I'm just not into the style. Except, "The Love Gangster", that's not folksy! Yes, I did "Consider", but I'll have to respectfully decline.

Rock & Roll Is Here To Stay - More up tempo, yay! Now, this is good stuff! This is the Steven Stills, I like! I Love the musicianship on this side, they really bring it! "The Treasure (Take One)", now this one kicks butt!!! Easily, the best song on the album!!! Stills' vocals & harmonies are an excellent compliment to this style. He caps off the side, with another blues track. The song's ok, but it's misplaced! I don't want to hear blues, right after I just got pumped full of a rock & roll jam fest! That's just, a let down. Nonetheless, this side was great!!!  I loved it!

So, for me, it's 3 out of 4 sides. Not a fan of the folksy, but I dig everything else. Thanks Jon, for exposing me to an album, I would have never listened to.

Side 3...  Whew what a departure from side 2!  But its no side 1!  Now onto Side 4 and to determine the winning side.

I like side 4 a good bit but Side 1 is gonna take the overall win in this post.  Now, how this turned into a battle of the sides I'll let you decide, but side 1 killed it!

Factoid: This album was recorded at Electric Lady in the adjoining studio where Wicked Lester was working on their album. Stephen Stills actually borrowed one of Gene's basses to record some of this album.

No matter what I do, does everything somehow come back to Kiss? Good golly!

Six degrees of Kiss.

Yes.

Crap. That needs to change.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)