Classic Rock Bottom

Since Rjhog loves NWOBHM music, I'm sticking with it! And since everyone loves Pan Tang, this week's album choice is the 1981 release from Tygers Of Pan Tang, "Spellbound".

Released 6 months (!) after their debut, this is the first album with John Deverill on vocals and some dude names John Sykes on geetar. What's even crazier is that the followup album, "Crazy Nights" was released 8 months after this album. 

You might have heard THIS before: they "sold out" after the third album, releasing pop metal albums, a far cry from their first three releases, but I still have a place in my heart for '82's "The Cage" for some reason.

If you like early Def Leppard, early Maiden, etc., you'll like this. You'll love the geetar work, there's no doubt about that either.

After "Crazy Nights", Sykes left for Thin Lizzy and the Tygers went on for a few more albums but nobody really cared because they had "sold out" as I mentioned above. However, they did come ROARING (tee hee) back in the '00's, releasing two fantastic albums and one that's actually pretty decent.     

Really not much more to say. Just listen. Enjoy. It's good.

Spellbound

1. Gangland
2. Take It
3. Minotaur
4. Hellbound
5. Mirror
6. Silver And Gold
7. Tyger Bay
8. The Story So Far
9. Blackjack
10. Don't Stop By

Availability: OOP, but you can hunt this down for around a starting price of $15 with bonus tracks.  and it includes bonus tracks.  

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love this.  This is one album my brother had on vinyl so I never bought and when I thought about it was OOP.  I would love to see some remasters of Tygers!

Sykes is awesome!  This album is so good...

There are two flaws on the album...  1) in some of the choruses, e.g.  go back and listen to "Silver and Gold", its not put together very well from a melodic stand point, but it is easily forgiven because the geetar work and music is so good.  And 2)   The song "The Story So Far".  This one feel like filler, but as soon as it finishes the riff from Blackjack pulls you back in.

Sweet post!  I like this one...

Agree with Scott, this one is really cool.  I especially liked the opening two tracks.  I'd say the best song here is Don't Stop By.  It's really killer.  Nice post Jon, keep the Tygers coming.

Is that the chick from Private School.  My, my, my.  

Agree with everyone....great guitar work on this one. I'm sorta "on the fence" on the vocal work, but if I were to find this for a good price, might just buy it.

I've heard of this band's name many times, but this is the first full album I've heard. Some of the best guitar work from Sykes I've heard on this release. Enjoying it.

Told ya last week you would like this!

Not from Private School.

Really?  Oh well.

Yeah..you might be thinking of Matthew Modine.

Why do I even try to carry on a conversation with you???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I have no clue!

Jamie Gertz from Lost Boys!

oh, and when you mention Jamie, it must always be "the lovely Jamie Gertz". Just cause I said!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos