Classic Rock Bottom

Remember the days when you watched MTV and a video came on from some band you had never heard of before and, while watching the video, you were completely awestruck at how amazing the song was?

Maybe the next day you went on a quest to find that album from that band and since these were the times when stores like Best Buy actually stocked music, you found that particular album as well as an earlier album and then went home and were completely blown away.

Every year or two after that you made sure to pick up every new release from this band and then you discovered the internet thing and while reading up on this band you noticed that you were getting recommendations about another band that you might like since you showed interest in that first band.

Sucker that you were, you decided to bite and pick up an album by this recommended band. Of course it couldn't be as good as that other band, could it? It would surely be a letdown, right?

No!

It went from "discovering" King's X which lead to Galactic Cowboys which later led to Atomic Opera. All three from Texas and all three produced by Sam Taylor. All three the same, but different.

If you like King's X, you'll like the Galactic Cowboys' debut. If you like both, you'll like Atomic Opera's debut. Both GC and AO veered away from the King's X sound with subsequent releases, but they was a distinct Kin's X-iness to all their recordings. 

With that out of the way, this week I bring you the 1991 self-titled debut from Galactic Cowboys. There is definite quirkiness going on throughout the album but it is also filled with seriousness ("Kaptain Krude") as well as some chunky geetar and what some call "Beatlesque harmonies" but what I call "King's X harmonies".

The only drawback to this album is track #8 ("Pump Up The Space Suit") because it is way too short. I hear this song and I turn the volume waaaaay up for some stupid reason, don't know if it's the swirling geetar or how it makes me go into head-banging mode, but it does something to me but it's too damn short.

A fine album and a fantastic debut.

Galactic Cowboys

1. I'm Not Afraid

2. My School

3. Why Can't You Believe In Me

4. Kaptain Krude

5. Someone For Everyone

6. Sea Of Tranquility

7. Kill Floor

8. Pump Up The Space Suite

9. Ranch On Mars Reprise

10. Speak To Me 

Availability: OOP but with due diligence you will own this for the low, low price of something around $5. 

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have this album, based on your recommendation a good while back.  But this is the first time I've actually sat down and listened to it.  And you are right about one thing, it sounds like King's X.  Especially a song like Someone For Everyone or Speak To Me.

All in all, not a bad listen.  It does kind of go  along with the grunge style as well.  Nice geetar work.

Best song for me was My School followed by Kill Floor.

I also bought Machine Fish on your recommendation, so I'll have to listen to that soon.

Good post.

I've started a new job this week and I am having to pick at this, still have the last few tracks to go, but its not terrible!  Which is a HUGE compliment for early 90's music!  But don't get me wrong, these guys try to harmonize and it just doesn't work, but at least they try!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos