Classic Rock Bottom

This week's pick is yet another change and makes me wonder if I'll ever actually post the album I picked a few weeks ago. We shall see.

From 2001 we bring you "Fate Of A Dreamer" from Ambeon. The name, according to the back of the CD, comes from "a combination of 'ambient' and 'Ayreon'". Also, "the songs on this CD are based on Ayreon songs, with new lyrics and melodies written and performed by 14 year old singer, Astrid van der Veen". 

According to Arjen Lucassen, the album was originally going to be an ambient instrumental album with a female vocalist on one or two tracks. However, when he heard a recording of Astrid he asked her to write lyrics and melodies to go over the tracks and also sing them. After all was said and done, it turned into a vocal album with two instrumentals.

Those familiar with Ayreon will know what to expect. It's sci-fi prog, however the lyrics are quite dark, especially on "Sweet Little Brother". This is a 14 year old who wasn't writing and/or singing about doing IT again, or making it all about the bass (which I had the misfortune to hear about a minute of a week ago). Instead it's a 14 year old with some dark thoughts flitting around her mind, but it's all good since she wears combat boots. I find that funny.

Hey, no Auto-Tune!

Headphones required, but not for language. It just sounds really, really good on 'phones.

Fate Of A Dreamer

1. Estranged
2. Ashes
3. High
4. Cold Metal
5. Fate
6. Sick Ceremony
7. Lost Message
8. Surreal
9. Sweet Little Brother
10. Dreamer

Availability: The combat boots cover runs around $15 and there's also an edition available for around $12 that has extra "unplugged" tracks.

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a policy of not listening to 14 year old girl music, but since she's wearing combat boots, I'll make an exception.  Just this once!

lots of vocal effects and echoes, very haunting!  She's an impressive vocalist, especially at 14, and the best compliment I can give her is that she sounds nothing like I would hear on the radio.

Getting a Titantic soundtrack vibe on 'High'.  Or is it the Pan Flute?  This is a very mellow listening experience so far.  Not that that's bad but its sounding like the songs are melting into each other.  Yes I know, that's an Ayreon type thing and likely its tailored for her vocal strengths as well.  But it does make for a very melancholy experience.

Fate starts off very Saga-like, but that feel disappears in about 15 seconds when you realize the keyboards are looping and the atmospheric vibe fills the room.

Just curious, does this girl come from the Celtic women group that are on PBS every now and then?  This sounds very much like that, and even the images in my head are of that type of music experience.

Loved the acoustic work in the Surreal tune.  May be the best tune here!

And in fact, it is the best tune here!  Very interesting post Sir Jon of Rottingham!  Not a purchase but an interesting post none-the-less

No, she doesn't have anything to do with Celtic Women. She's Dutch.

I knew that...

My thoughts are:

• Great voice on this young lady.
  • Splendid guitar work throughout.
  • This really is no longer my style of music.  I liked it for about 5 minutes.
  • It sounds like it would fit a certain type of movie, something set in the 1600's maybe.
  • I do like the song "Ashes".
  • I like the instrumental "Fate" as well.
  • I totally dig the Celtic feel on "Lost Message".  Cool song.
  • Splendid acoustic work on "Surreal".  Best song so far.
  • Is it her voice that is performing the backing vocals as well?  Kinda hard to duplicate live if it is.
  • "Sweet Little Brother" is really dark.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this LFAOTW.  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos