Classic Rock Bottom

This week's selection might be the seventh in a series. Then again, it might not.

I went to see "Thief" when it was released in 1981. When I think about it, I really don't know why I wanted to see this movie since it doesn't seem to be the type of movie to appeal to a kid in his mid-teens. Maybe a friend convinced me to go because it starred James Caan and he thought James Caan was really cool. Maybe there was nothing else showing at the time. Maybe I thought it would give me tips on how to become a professional thief because maybe that's what I wanted to do in life. Who knows, but see it I did.

One thing I remember is wondering why Willie Nelson was in the movie. He was a country singer. He couldn't act, right? Well, wrong. James Caan was James Caan (even though I didn't know much about James Caan back then). John Belushi had a brother? Didn't really know that until watching "Thief". The things you learn from watching movies.

What really struck me while watching the movie was the music, especially the music playing during the final showdown. I had to get the soundtrack because I wanted that song and I wanted to play it over and over again. The rest of the music was ok, but that final song was the bees knees.

Other than James Bond soundtracks, this was the first soundtrack I had bought (not counting soundtracks like "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", "Heavy Metal", etc.). Not radio friendly songs here, no hits. I even had this before buying the "Star Wars" soundtrack.

The more I watched the movie thoroughout the years, the more I liked this whole soundtrack. It might help if you've seen the movie. If you haven't you need to. For some, the music might make more "sense" if you have pictures, or scenes, to go by.

Tangerine Dream have composed the score for many movies including "Near Dark", "Sorcerer", "Risky Business" and "Miracle Mile". They have also released quite a few albums.

The US release featured "Confrontation" (the track I really like) but did not include "Beach Scene" while the European version featured "Beach Scene" but NOT "Confrontation". I have used both versions to come up with a "complete" version, even though it is now available.

"Confrontation" was composed and performed by Craig Safan. The director, Michael Mann, wanted music for another scene and Tangerine Dream were not available. This was Michael Mann's first movie and chances are you've seen at least one MM movie.

That's enough for now. For your assignment you must listen to this album AND watch the movie. 

Thief

1. Beach Theme
2. Dr. Destructo
3. Diamond Diary
4. Burning Bar
5. Beach Scene
6. Scrap Yard
7. Trap Feeling
8. Igneous
9. Confrontation

Availability: The "complete" version is available for around $14 and is limited to 4000 copies. 

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Must be my lucky weekend.  Thief is available on Netflix, so I will make an honest effort to watch it.

There's something simple missing from what I think the theme is and what Jon's intent it...

Oh?

This a series about Jazz/Funk-Fusion geetarists...  The wrench in this may be Marty Friedman but if you look into his style of play you'll find a jazz link...

Oh.

Plain and simple...no vocals series.

So an album full of electronic music after I researched, diligently I might add, the jazz fusion connection to all the geetarists/bands posted so far and I'm still right (or just thick headed) !!!  Its fusion!!!

This definitely needs the movie (of which I have not watched) to make sense.  I dont not have the time to complete this weeks full assignment sorry (got a wedding to prep for and relatives in town for the next month).  Still I woudl like to see it to get the gist...

Interesting series, I am looking forward to being crowned correct!!!

I tell you, I really hate when you type stuff and it disappears.  My assignment has been completed.  And I'll agree with you, the soundtrack, on it's on, isn't much.  You need the movie to go with it.  Otherwise all you have is background music.

Track four is an exception.  I did like that one.  But the best by far is that last track.  The guitar is amazing.  That one I can listen too without the movie, no problem.  

The movie itself was quite good.  I've always been a fan of James Caan.  Jim Belushi too.  And the main bad guy looked and sounded just like Mr. Lundy from Mrs. Doubtfire.  It's kind of kookie because it's thirty years old.  The special effects leave a lot to be desired, but that goes with the territory.  But the music really suited it and they both complimented each other quite well.  

So good choice this week.  But I can't watch a movie every week...just sayin'.  

Special effects? It's not an SE-driven movie at all.

Right. .. it's jazz fusion driven

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos