Classic Rock Bottom

from "I wasn't prepared for this" Jon

Krokus--Dirty Dynamite (March 2013)

The 17th album from Switzerland's Krokus and they're still staying far away from the prog roots. Interesting. Don't know when the next AC/DC album will be coming out, but this should tide us over till then. 

1. Hallelujah Rock N' Roll

2. Rattlesnake Rumble

3. Let The Good Times Roll

4. Better Than Sex

5. Live Ma Life

W.E.T.--Rise Up (February 2013)

The second album from W.E.T. featuring Jeff Scott Soto on vocals, this will appeal to those that like melodic rock. Be prepared for some power ballads!

1. Love Heals

2. The Moment

3. On The Run

4. Shot

5. Still Unbroken

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

KROKUS ... Two Thumbs Up

Bluesly, Ballsy, and downright Krokusy.  Reminds me of One Vice At A Time (when will their early stuff get some remaster love?)  I don't need to listen, I owned it before Jon anyway...  Good post!  I'll get WET later...

KROKUS -  

As I've said before, I only liked Krokous around '80-'82. I found out, that a good Krokus-album, I could hear a couple of times, and that was it. I haven't heard my 3-4 Krokus-albums since then, and listening to this new album, I don't really feel like it. They have always been a Bon Scott-era AC/DC-clone band. Why would I wanna waste time on a clone band, when I can listen to the real deal, and a much better band, whenever I want? Just like the Zeppelin-clone bands. I can listen a couple of times (Black Country Communion aso) and that's it. Back to this one: It's not bad, but I do not wanna purchase these wannabee-bands albums anymore. If I don't hear this album ever again, I'm just fine with that.

W.E.T. -  

"..those that like melodic rock". Yeah, and those who are stuck in '87. I don't know, if I can listen to this the whole way through. This band could easily win The European Music Contest, and believe me, that's a baaaaad thing. Why haven't Nirvana killed this band? That was their purpose, but they failed. My wife will enter this room in a few minutes, and probably ask me "why are you listening to this 80's crap". Sorry, but this is DEFINITELY not my cup of tea. Utter crap it is.

Krokus (Thumbs busy doing something else)

I've never owned a Krokus album.  This is pretty much just straight ahead AC/DC"esque" rock.  They definitely don't wiggle away from the center at all.  It's not bad at all.  I'd be willing to bet that it's better than the next AC/DC album will be.  But there's just nothing that stands out to me.  That last song is the best one to me.  Not a purchase for me, but thanks for posting.

W.E.T. (Thumbs East and West)

I bought this as soon as it came out.  I really liked the first song released.  But it all boils down to the fact that this is more of an 80's Journey wannabe.  Don't get me wrong, they have tons of talent.  Jeff Scott Soto has a great voice and the band is tight, but the songs just don't do much for me.  I'm pretty disappointed in this.  I don't know, maybe I'll give it another chance later on.

I'm listening to the Krokus. I like it. I guess I do need it afteral?

W.E.T., I have two of their songs from ITunes. I don't have the full album yet. But this song is very good!

WET ... Two Thumbs loving this

Their first effort, while being a real nice release, really comes off as too smooth and over produced.  This one sounds more like a band that's coming together and feeding off what each other brings to the table, much more natural.  And I love the melodic-ness of it.  A true AOR effort that works on a time when its shouldn't (if that makes sense).  I had the pleasure of seeing JSS lead Journey on stage between Augeri and Arnel.  Always thought it was a HUGE mistake to not keep him and now we hear what he could've brought to the table in terms of songwriting and vocal talent.  Someone slap Schon and Cain for missing this boat!  This one has been in my wish list for far too long, Im pulling the trigger today!

2 for 2 for me...  Great post!

I guess he didn't sound enough like Perry.

Looking for a Perry sound-a-like doesn't appear to have been such a good strategy.  I loved Arrival, it was such a good step for them especially if you own the Red 13 EP as a companion.  Although hindsight being 20/20, they had a ton of time to develop that music. 

Generations was a 90% misstep (Faith in the Heartland ranks very high in my Journey alltime favorites though), Revelation is a 50/50 disc for me, and Eclipse was a 30/70 disc that sounded more like a Schon solo record than Journey.  And it clearly highlighted the songwriting issues without an able singer to provide valued input.

Should be interesting to see if they try something else, milk the Perry catalog for a few more tours, or just hang it up ...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos