Classic Rock Bottom

by "As far as the East is from the West" Scott

Two polar opposites today...  Let get right to it with some solo Chrissie Hynde of Pretenders fame. You know, to set the mood.  Click an album cover and enjoy!

1. You Or No One
  2. Like In The Movies
  3. Down The Wrong Way
  4. In A Miracle
  5. Adding The Blue

Hynde is a powerful presence and she remains so on Stockholm, although it is by many measures one of the lightest records she's ever made. Some of this is certainly due to Yttling, who encourages Hynde to indulge in pop inclinations she's hinted at but never explored, but it's also true she's in a fairly sunny state of mind, never dwelling on either mortality or heartbreak. This suits the glistening production, which employs several mildly modernistic techniques -- there are electronic rhythms, suggested synthesizers, sly effects, and a general bright openness that feels fresh -- and helps accentuate her sprightlier melodies, whether it's the Spector-esque spangle of "You or No One," the echoing nocturnal vistas of "A Plan Too Far," or the heady rush of "Dark Sunglasses," the cut here that comes closest to sounding like vintage Pretenders. Even if Stockholm rarely suggests either the muscle or roar of the Pretenders, it never once doesn't feel like the work of Chrissie Hynde; sonically and aesthetically, it feels like the next logical chapter after 2008's Break Up the Concrete and 2010's Fidelity! And, as it is a Chrissie Hynde project.

And then?

1. Dying Breed
  2. Fall Of The Empire
  3. Wanna Be Free
  4. Bloodbath Mastermind
  5. The Curse

Although modern metal is built on a foundation of daring experimentation and technicality, the old gods of the genre worked in more intangible ways, building their sound on attitude and swagger. On their 14th studio album (the third since the band re-formed with new vocalist Mark Tornillo at the helm in 2009), the seeming unkillable Accept return to take listeners back to the tough old days of metal with Blind Rage. While the album's title evokes the idea of an uncontrollable beast wildly lashing out at anything nearby, the music contained within paints a different picture. Like a snarling guard dog on a leash that's just a little too short, the album feels restrained, but still dangerous, as if at any moment things could break bad and spin out of control. Seething and snarling, the album shows that the band still know how to pull the listener's strings. On track after track, Blind Rage dishes out aggression with an even hand, keeping the listener right at the edge of catharsis without whipping them into a frenzy. As many old-school metal revivalists have proven time and again, this trait is one that can only be learned with experience, something Accept have picked up plenty of over the last few decades. And even with Tornillo on vocals, Accept still sound the way you remember them sounding when they were at the height of their power, so even the lapsed, Balls to the Wall-era metalheads out there will feel as though they're picking up with the band right where they left off.

What say you?

Views: 209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have the Accept CD but haven't listened to it yet. I heard the song "Stampede" which you didn't include and thought that one was fantastic.

Yep, Stampede was posted as a SMASH or TRASH (I believe) and it was mostly Smash as I recall it as well.  

Chrissie Hynde--Thumbs

(oh-oh)

(not feeling well)

Up.

No more "and then"!!!!!!

I really like this, it kinda sounds like The Pretenders but it kinda doesn't. A mellow version of The Pretenders, maybe. If I recall, the S or T I posted awhile back didn't exactly set the world on fire. Silly people (or person). She still sounds great, doesn't like like an 80 year-old, plus DEFINITELY DOES NOT LOOK LIKE AN 80 YEAR-OLD. I'm totally digging the mellowness of this, maybe today I'm in a mellow mood. Ya know, I completely forgot about this album coming out, remembered it one day about a month ago and then forgot about it again until now. See? NMC DOES serve a purpose. 

Great!  See what you've started....

at least mine wasn't evil!

Accept--Thumbs Up

While I did like the last album, I really can't remember anything off of it. Maybe I didn't like it? I know I liked it a bit less than "Blood Of The Nations". This album is a great listen from top to bottom. I could be wrong, but the last couple albums didn't have a lot of the Acceptish backing vocals, where it sounds like billions of peeps are singing. The geetar™ on this album is fantastical, this album makes me wanna 

rise up and tell "the man" how I really feel. Very good album, plus I'm impressed that this is their third album in 4 years. Who does that anymore? 

Two very strong picks this week, plus they're on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. See? LRB & Death Angel works!!!!!

Chrissie Hynde - Can't say I've ever been a fan of Chrissie or The Pretenders.  I definitely got more than I was expecting here though.  That first track has a serious 80's vibe.  And I like that.  The verses were really good, but the chorus didn't do much for me.  Like In The Movies was a really good song.  I think the best song here.  And the following track started out with a nice guitar intro, but after that I wasn't overly impressed.  And this NMC is closed out with two ballads.  Both were pretty good, but I think I enjoyed In A Miracle just a bit more than Adding The Blue.  All in all, very nice half-post.  I'm pleasantly surprised by my enjoyment of this.

Accept - Okay, I'm definitely getting old.  I'm just losing my feel for this type of music.  I have the last two Accept albums, and I don't think they are bad at all, but I never choose to listen to them either.  So I didn't bother with this album.  Again, it's not bad, but I probably wouldn't spin it twice.  Tracks number three and five are the best here for me.  The guitar playing is outstanding, but it's just not for me.

Slowly but surely your coming around to the Pretenders and Chrissie Hynde, its just a matter of time now...

Up coming deal for this at four pm on Amazon. No price yet.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos