Classic Rock Bottom

This year's edition of Record Store Day found RJ with a day off.  It's the first RSD in several years that I haven't had to work.  So I planned about a month or so ago to go find myself a record store. After checking out the RSD website for participating stores, I found that the closest store was about 45 miles away from me with another store in Columbia, South Carolina about 70 miles away.  I ultimately decided to visit the Columbia store, Scratch N' Spin.  

However, about three days ago, I rechecked the website to get the address to Scratch N' Spin when I noticed a new store had popped up on the website, and it was supposedly located right here in Augusta.  After calling the phone number with no luck, I managed to get a response to a Facebook message.  Sure enough, Grantski Records is a new store, just under a year, located in "The Hill Area" of Augusta.  The cool thing was that Scratch N' Spin was opening at 8am while Grantski Records was opening at 11am.  So I decided to get up at 5:45am and hit both of them.

I had two titles that I definitely wanted, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit's "Live From Welcome To 1979" and Neil Young's triple LP "Decade".  With that in mind, I got to Scratch N' Spin at about 7:40am. There was a line, but not long.  I was about eight or nine spots back.  It's a pretty big store for an independent, but we still had to walk single file back to the area that the albums were located. Of course, the aisle clogged up at the first end cap with RSD releases on it.  I was just close enough to spot, but not reach, the Jason Isbell release.  It was very noticeable.  I patiently waited until I was close enough to reach in front of a few folks and grab it.  Got the only copy (that I know of).  I didn't notice the Neil Young release on the same end cap, but the gentleman I had been chatting with in line saw it and handed it to me.  Very cool.  I also picked up the Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes 10 inch release "Live At Jones Beach" and the Butch Walker 10 inch release "End of the World (One More Time)/Battle vs. The War".  I picked up a few titles but put them back, figuring if I saw them at the next stop I could pick them up there.  I didn't see any of them at Grantski Records.

Scratch N' Spin had a pretty good selection of used CD's as well as used cassettes.  There was a 50% off sale on those items until 10am, but I decided not to shop them today, instead electing to head back in the future.  The regular price on the majority of the cassettes ranged from $2.50 to $4.00.

It took almost an hour and a half to get back home and over to Grantski Records.  The line there was a good bit longer.  There was at least 20 folks in front of me. And this was a much, much smaller shop.  The store owner could not let everyone in at the same time, and sure enough, the line stopped as I got to the door.  But it wasn't long before I was let in.  I noticed the Jason Isbell release there as well.  Didn't see the Neil Young.  I had already grabbed the Eric Church live release, "Caught in the Act" on double red vinyl, as well as the Rush release "Cygnus X-1" when the Def Leppard E.P. caught my eye.  Of course, I grabbed it.  It was the only copy.  I had totally forgotten about this one, so I was pretty excited to find it.  

All in all, I probably spent too much money today, but it was a fun experience.  And now I have some "exclusive" releases in my collection.  Oh, I almost forgot to say, I grabbed a 10 inch copy of The Foo Fighters "Songs From The Laundry Room".  Then I noticed this evening that this was a 2015 release.  No problems, I dig the Foo Fighters.  If you have a chance on the next RSD, I suggest you go try to find yourself something that you can pop on the turntable and re-live the good old days.

Here are a few more pics of what I picked up:

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The only thing I got was the AH boxset from Amoeba online. Didn't feel like leaving the house.

I totally space off RSD...  dang...  But you did great!  I checked out that Scratch and Spin place, I'm 113 miles away, totally doable for a day trip!

Nice write up on your day!

Glad to see you got the stuff you were looking for and a few extras.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos