Classic Rock Bottom

Top 10 Drummers Who Perform Lead Vocals

We've mentioned & discussed some great names, now it's time to submit your list. Who's your Top 10 Drummers Who Perform Lead Vocals? Who are your favorites & who do you think handled both duties the best. I understand there are a few gray areas here, but what we're looking for are artist that sang lead vocals from behind the drum set. Your list should consider drum skill, vocal ability & output performing the two. Submit your list of the 10 artists you like & or consider the best.

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. Roger Taylor
2. Kelly Keagy
3. Karen Carpenter
4. Don Henley
5. Levon Helm
6. Peter Rivera
7. Phil Collins
8. Mickey Dolenz
9. Andy Sturmer
10. Sheila E.

Names Mentioned: Don Henley - Eagles, Phil Collins - Genesis, Micky Dolenz - The Monkees, Kelly Keagy - Night Ranger, Levon Helm - The Band, Dave Clark, The Dave Clark 5, Shelia E. - Prince, Karen Carpenter - The Carpenters, Peter Criss - Kiss, Ringo Starr, The Beatles, Roger Taylor - Queen, Peter Rivera - Rare Earth, Jimmy Marinos - The Romantics, Andy Sturner - Jellyfish, Phillip Wright - Paper Lace, Gil Moore - Triumph, Dan - Beehler - Exciter, Don Brewer - Grand Funk Railroad, Dennis Wilson - The Beach Boys, Grant Heart - Husker Du, Debi Peterson The Bangles, Nicole Rae - Traveling Suitcase, Larry Lee - Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Deen Castronovo - Journey, Greg Tyler - Strawberry Alternative, Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater, Flying Colors etc., Eric Carr - Kiss, Eric Singer- Kiss, Jen Ledger - Skillet

With the exception of Grohl, these are all the names mentioned. You determine if their output as a drummer lead vocalist merit a spot on your list. If you feel strong enough about Grohl list him, but I've seen nothing that indicates to me, that he's ever sang lead played drums at the same time. So good luck with your lists.

10. Sheila E

9. Karen Carpenter

8. Dennis Wilson

7. Ringo Starr

6. Micky Dolenz

5. Phil Collins

4. Roger Taylor

3. Peter Criss

2. Kelly Keagy

1. Don Henley

No Dave Grohl and Bill Ward, but Eric Carr/Eric singer? Yeah, right. That makes PERFECT sense to me

1. Ringo Starr

2. Dave Grohl

3. Phil Collins

4. Peter Criss

5. Bill Ward

6. Mike Portnoy

7. Roger Taylor

8. Levon Helm

9. Denis Wilson

10. Don Henley

I just wanna add that if Grohl qualified, he would be on my list.

Grohl would make your list of what? Top 10 Rhythm Guitar Lead Singers? He made Top 10 on that list. Top 10 Lead Vocalist? He wouldn't be on mine. Top 10 drummers? He wouldn't be on mine. Top 10 drummers who perform lead vocals, nobody has shown me where he has done them both at the same time.
When he performs drums and lead vocals on the first Foo Fighters-album, he had more right to be on such a list, than Eric Carr IMHO. Carr never sang lead vocal on a KISS-album, as far as I know. He sang Peter Criss's songs live, sure, but come on!! If you look Hard enough, I'm sure there's footage of him playing drums and singing somewhere.
My point, if you have to try & dig up footage....then maybe? And, I'm not a Grohl hater. I just don't think he belongs on this list. Nor, do I think Carr or Singer for that matter. That being said, I don't have a problem with you listing him. I want each person to submit who they like & best feels meets the criteria.

He would make my list of:

Top 10 Rhythm Guitar Lead Singers

Top 10 Current Lead Vocalist

Top 10 Drummers

Top 10 Rhythm Guitar Players

Top 10 Current Song Writers

Top 10 Front Men

Top 10 Drummers That Play Guitar And Sing And Write And Front The Band

Top 10 Go To Dudes For Collaboration Work

Top 10 Funny Looking Rock Dudes To Have In Your Video

...shall I go on, and on, and on, and on...

The ninth one is the only one I agree with. Top 10 lead vocalists? I could name 20 current lead vocalists that poop on him.

Like I pay any attention to what you say.

Jeff, that's why we all have opinions. Wait, you like Kip Winger! Argument Invalid!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos