Classic Rock Bottom

TOP 5 DUAL PERSONALITIES (I'M IN A BAND/I'M A SOLO ARTIST)

This is a Top 5 list for artists that were in a band and decided to branch out into the solo field.  Who do you think did it best?  But there are rules to make it a little trickier.

1. The artist must have at least one US Gold studio album with his or her band and at least one US Gold studio album as a solo artist.

2. The solo portion must be billed as that particular person (so Ronnie James Dio would not qualify because he was in a band named Dio, it was not billed as RJD solo). 

3. The artist must have had released a gold studio album with his band prior to releasing a solo gold studio album.

4.  This is meant to be weighted on how much you like an artist as well as how well that artist sold.  That's why rule number one is in place.  For instance, Paul Stanley is my favorite musician and artist of all time, but he does not qualify because he did not go Gold as a solo artist (the '78 solo albums were billed as Kiss).

That's it.  So who you got?

5. Phil Collins

4. Stevie Nicks

3. Don Henley

2. Ozzy Osbourne

1. David Lee Roth

Views: 536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everybody here loves Prince?!
You're joking, right?

I to like Prince, but I like him way more when Wendy and Lisa were in the Revolution.  To me they are different bands...

My two cents...

That's funny: I do not see "Prince" as a band, not even if he put's a "Revolution" after his name. It is his backing-band, just like "The Band" was Dylan's backing-band for a while. Prince's ego could not fit into a band!!

"Ozzy Osbourne" (1980-1982) was much more of a band than Prince and the Revolution will ever be.

I don't see a difference between Prince and the Revolution and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.  However, because of the addition of Rule # 3, Prince is out.

I find this rather interesting.

I think that Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers is much more of a band than Prince aso.

As a matter of fact, I think that "David Lee Roth" was more of a "band-thing", especially the first couple of albums, maybe only "Eat them and smile".

A solo-record or -career for me is, when you don't really notice the other musicians, and members of "the band" comes and go, and when you write music and lyrics your-self, and maybe play more than one instrument.  

Bruce Springsteen also has a backing-band, but he is not IN a band, not imo anyway.

Rule # 3 has "cleaned" up around here, but is it really that clear, when it is a "solo-thing" and when it is not?

For the purpose of this thread, it's all about billing.  If it's Bruce Springsteen, it's solo, if it's Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, it's a band.  Same for Prince or Tom Petty or anybody. 

OK for me, not trying to change the decision just adding thoughts.

What am I missing? Prince & The Revolution and TP & The Heartbreakers are completely different, especially for this list. Prince started off solo, and then added his touring band (The Revolution). TP started as a band and then went solo.

What am I missing here!!??

You aren't missing a thing.  I'm only using TP and the HB's in alluding to the fact that it's still a band, not a solo act.  TP fits this thread perfectly because he had Gold albums w/the Heartbreakers before doing the same solo.  I'm not saying they both are out, only that the billing of "said artist" "and the" "given band" are still considered a band.  

Take that Valium sitting beside you and have a sip of boxed wine bro.

Blame it on heat prostration. Just finished cutting the grass and was weak and crampy.

Surprised we haven't seen Sammy Hagar mentioned yet.

I wouldn't have a problem with Sammy Hagar 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos