Classic Rock Bottom

What is the best collection of talent to ever come together & form a band? This catagory's not about who was the most sucessful or who's the most popular, it's about talented musicians & which band had the best collection of them. So quite simply, vocals aside, name the bands that could flat out play?

Rules

1. No All-Star or Reunion Bands.

2. The musicians had to have recorded together at some point, during the bands career. Not looking for the band that had the most talented musicians pass through, during the course of it's career.

Here's My Stab:

5. Iron Maiden

4. Toto

3. Led Zepplin

2. Dream Theater

1. Rush

Anyone Else, Dare To Take Theirs?

Views: 6911

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, I don't think he'll be a Myles Kennedy by a long shot, but I'm interested to see what he can do over a whole album.  From what I have heard so far, he's kinda like Ace Frehley for me, not a voice that can carry an entire album, but it works well on 2-3 songs per album. 

On the top of my head, it could be:

Talisman

Journey

Yes

Royal Hunt

Mr. Big

But damn, it's a tough one!!! :-)

And we're got yet another dane on CRB officially. I hope that this is the first "post" of many to come.

Hey Rene, thanks for casting your vote in the Top 5! I'm assuming Mr. Big is your number one, unless you specify otherwise. I've never heard of Royal Hunt, I'll have to check them out. I've heard a little Talisman, here & there, need to dig a little deeper in their catalog. Another Mr. Big fan, perhaps I've missed something with Billy Shehan's bunch? I'm a big Journey fan, so I love the Journey mention. The early line-up of Neal Schon, Steve Smith, Ross Valory & Greg Rollie, pretty good musicians! And Yes is a great choice, it appears to be a popular one as well!  

There's tons still, some that weren't mentioned:

ELP

Opeth

Cheap Trick (think about it)

Marillion

Saga

Savatage

Therion (yep, I'm biased on this one)

Fleetwood Mac

I don't remember anyone mentioning Steely Dan...

Or even Steeleye Span

There! I've thought about Cheap Trick:

Rick Nielsen - Not a very good guitarist, I like his style especially on the first 5 albums, but THAT good he ain't.

Tom Petersson - An okay bassist, play's it like a "guitar", kind of Lennon in The Beatles'/Lennon's "I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Bun E. Carlos - Again, I like his style, but he's not one of the best drummers around. A simple, but good style.

Robin Zander - One of the best singer's, but that's a "no-go" in this topic, and his talent as a rythm-guitarist, hmmmmm.....do you really think, he is THAT good?? 

I would mention Bob Dylan and The Band, probably on my 6th place, when I think about it.

......or the band, that made Ozzy's first two "solo"-albums: Randy Rhoads (second best guitarist ever), Lee Kerslake (EXELLENT drummer, both "here" and in Uriah Heep and Bob Daisly (Exellent bassist, especially on Diary Of A Madman, but ALSO in Uriah Heep and Rainbow)

Nielsen not a good guitarist? John Lennon said he was better than Clapton....

And Petersson, the master of the 12 string bass is only "ok"?

And Bun E is simple, but he's still good. Sometimes less is more.

I agree with the Bun E. Carlos statement, but that's it for me.

Lennon probably took acid, when he said that about Nielsen. Great surname, though!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos