Classic Rock Bottom

First the rules:

1) List five bands that you consider vastly underrated bands.

2) The bands must be considered rock bands (any genre of rock will qualify)

3) The Band Must Have Been Around At Least 20 Years

4) The Band must have had limited or no commercial success. In other words, you might claim the last four Metallica albums are underrated, but they would not qualify because they have had tremendous success. I will allow bands that perhaps were one hit wonders or had a limited run of successful albums.

5) Here is the kicker. If someone respectfully disagrees with one of your picks, you have the right to request the person (let's have fun with this) to  "defend their thesis." The person defending will have to explain why the band is underrated, but the person who has requested your pick to be justfied must also explain why he/she disagrees with the band being underrated.

For example, let's say I list one of my favorite bands "Uriah Heep." To me, they are vastly underrated with a ton of good albums and good songs. Someone may disagree with me and their argument could be "Their recent albums may be underrated, but they had a fair share of hits and successful albums in the 70's so they had their moment in the sun." I would then have to counter with my justification.

My List:

5) The Spooky Tooth

4) Overkill

3) Junkyard

2) Doro Pesch

1) Rose Tattoo

Views: 1435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I say limited success for The Smithereens.  Highest charting album in the US was #41, only 2 top 40 singles.

I think they had more top 40 singles than 2, but if they qualify, good choice.

Not on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart.  It's true if you count more obscure charts like Mainstream Rock and so forth.  I personally only consider the former chart in this type of discussion or even when I'm quoting a charting for AOTW. 

"Europe" would definetly be disqualified in Europe, also. Is this a "US-only" kind of list, because then I will have some difficulty to participate in similar discussions/lists?!

I considered "global" success in my decisions its really the reason I left Thin Lizzy off...

Okay, with the disqualification of Nazareth, I feel no need to adjust my list.

So, what about Europe & the Smithereens?

I agree with Scott & Niels. you have to consider "Global" success.

Scandal, I need a ruling on Europe before I revise my list.  I agree that they had a fair amount of worldwide success, especially in.....Sweden.  I'd say their success in the U.K. was moderate according to their chartings on Wikipedia.  Either way, I need a ruling, and I'll be perfectly fine if they are disqualified.

I think Europe would qualify. I agree all of our lists need to try and be global as possible while also looking at the big picture. For example, I have often heard that the band Mr.Big have a huge following in Japan, yet would (and no disrespect to them, good band) probably have to play barbecues in a lot of the world. I think the Smithereens qualifies as well though upon my research they were slightly more successful than I thought.

Did the original poster defend his thesis on Thin Lizzy? I have thought about it all day and I keep going back and forth on that one. Thin Lizzy definitely were underrated in the United States, yet still more widely known than many of the bands we have listed here and certainly have a fairly strong fanbase in other parts of the world. I know what I said earlier but actually I am starting to waiver on that, lol. Judge Scandal Wapner needs to reconsider which is the point of defending your thesis. Is anyone still listing Winger?

Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Defend your thesis on Winger.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos