First the rules:
1) List five bands that you consider vastly underrated bands.
2) The bands must be considered rock bands (any genre of rock will qualify)
3) The Band Must Have Been Around At Least 20 Years
4) The Band must have had limited or no commercial success. In other words, you might claim the last four Metallica albums are underrated, but they would not qualify because they have had tremendous success. I will allow bands that perhaps were one hit wonders or had a limited run of successful albums.
5) Here is the kicker. If someone respectfully disagrees with one of your picks, you have the right to request the person (let's have fun with this) to "defend their thesis." The person defending will have to explain why the band is underrated, but the person who has requested your pick to be justfied must also explain why he/she disagrees with the band being underrated.
For example, let's say I list one of my favorite bands "Uriah Heep." To me, they are vastly underrated with a ton of good albums and good songs. Someone may disagree with me and their argument could be "Their recent albums may be underrated, but they had a fair share of hits and successful albums in the 70's so they had their moment in the sun." I would then have to counter with my justification.
5) The Spooky Tooth
2) Doro Pesch
1) Rose Tattoo
I really like the Midnight Oil pick! Very good Australian band, like them a lot! Had the hit "Beds Are Burning" & later "Blue Sky Mine". Other than that, I think they're relatively obscure to the mainstream, but their work is great!!! I listen to it a lot! Considering, making room for them on my list. Hmmmm............
Ok, I thought about it. I'm going to make a change.
4. Midnight Oil
1. Aldo Nova
Alright everyone, voting is now over. I had a lot of fun with this one because there is great debate on what underrated truly means. Before I give the official totals, I think most of us are in agreeance that: Thin Lizzy, Nazareth, and UFO are all underrated bands that deserved more popularity than they received. After much discussion, I think we all acknowledge they did have a decent, albeit too short of a run of success and all have a few songs that still are in regular rotation on classic rock radio.They are no doubt underrated, but perhaps not VASTLY underrated.
Now our Top 5 List of Most Underrated Bands. Please note that very few people had matching lists and there was no clear cut winner. Here is the point system I used. 10 Points-1st, 8 Points-2nd Place, 6 Points-3rd Place, 4-Fourth Place, 5-2 Points
And the winner is:
CONTROVERSY-Please see a new thread because we have a bonus vote coming.
1-King's X (20 points)
2-Aldo Nova (18 points)
3-Vandenberg (16 points)
See a New Thread for the Bouns Vote for Fourth and Fifth Place!
King's X - wasn't on my list & I haven't heard a lot of their work, but what I have hard is very good! I have no problem with them at the top spot. I think they are very worthy!
Aldo Nova - My number one pick, the guy's an extremely talented guitarist & singer. He has a very solid catalog, a lot of great music, though he's basically only known for his breakthrough hit, "Fantasy".
Vandenberg - Number three on my list. I really, like this band & I think Adrian Vandenberg is a very underrated guitarist. They had the talent & great songs. I aleays thought they should have been a lot bigger.
I'm happy with the top 3, how about you?
I've never heard of any of the other three, so to be fair, I will omit listing a choice for fifth place.