Classic Rock Bottom

VOTW - TOOL

Tool have made one of my favorite albums in this millennium, Lateralus. But even though, I've bought further 2 of their 4 albums, I haven't been that impressed by those, especially not their latest album, 10,000 Days from 2006. That's 10 (!!) years ago. They have only relased 4 albums in 23 years! Still, Lateralus is a master-piece imo, and if you don't own it, run out and buy it. Here's some information and some video's:From Wiki:Tool is an American rock band from Los Angeles, California. Formed in 1990, the group's line-up includes drummer Danny Carey, guitarist Adam Jones, and vocalist Maynard James Keenan. Since 1995, Justin Chancellor has been the band's bassist, replacing their original bassist Paul D'Amour. Tool has won three Grammy Awards, performed worldwide tours, and produced albums topping the charts in several countries.The band emerged with a heavy metal sound on their first studio album, Undertow (1993), and later became a dominant act in the alternative metal movement, with the release of their second album, Ænima in 1996. Their efforts to unify musical experimentation, visual arts, and a message of personal evolution continued, with Lateralus (2001) and the most recent album, 10,000 Days (2006), gaining the band critical acclaim, and commercial success around the world.Due to Tool's incorporation of visual arts and very long and complex releases, the band is generally described as a style-transcending act and part of progressive rock, psychedelic rock, and art rock. The relationship between the band and today's music industry is ambivalent, at times marked by censorship, and the band's insistence on privacy.

SOBER

Sober is a song by US rock band, Tool. The song was released as the debut single from their debut album, Undertow.Tool guitarist Adam Jones has stated in an interview that the song is about a friend of the band whose artistic expression only comes out when he is under the influence. "A lot of people give him shit for that," Jones explains. "If you become addicted and a junkie, well, that's your fault.

STINKFIST

Ænima (/ˈɒnɪmə/[3]) is the second full-length studio album by American rock band Tool. It was released in vinyl format on September 17, 1996, and in compact disc format on October 1, 1996, through Zoo Entertainment. The album was recorded and cut at Ocean Way, Hollywood and The Hook, North Hollywood from 1995 to 1996. The album was produced by David Bottrill.The album debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 chart upon its initial release, and was certified triple platinum by the RIAA on March 4, 2003. The album appeared on several lists of the best albums of 1996, including that of Kerrang! and Terrorizer. The title track won the Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance in 1998. In 2003, Ænima was ranked the sixth most influential album of all time by Kerrang!

SCHISM

Lateralus (/ˌlætəˈræləs/) is the third full-length studio album by American rock band Tool. It was released on May 15, 2001 through Volcano Entertainment. The album was recorded at Cello Studios in Hollywood and The Hook, Big Empty Space, and The Lodge, in North Hollywood, between October 2000 and January 2001. David Bottrill, who had produced the band's two previous releases Ænima and Salival, produced the album along with the band. On August 23, 2005, Lateralus was released as a limited edition two-picture-disc vinyl LP in a holographic gatefold package.The album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, and was certified double platinum by the RIAA on August 5, 2003. On August 30, 2004, the album was certified silver by the BPI. It was also certified platinum in Australia, and double platinum in Canada. The band won the Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance for the song "Schism" in 2002. Lateralus was ranked No. 123 on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's "Definitive 200" list.

THE GRUDGE

VICARIOUS

"Vicarious" is a song by American rock band Tool. The song is the first single released from their fourth full-length studio album 10,000 Days. Debuting on Maynard's 42nd birthday, April 17, 2006 on commercial radio, the seven-minute song entered the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks and Mainstream Rock Tracks charts both at number 2. It received a nomination for Best Hard Rock Performance at the 49th Annual Grammy Awards.

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recall a co-worker of mine liking this bands 90's output, he was very excited about it if my memory serves me correctly (and we all know how that works)

SOBER ...  You'll get no complaint from on this one, kinda liked it, though the video is odd...

STINKFIST ... Cant say what first came to mind reading the title of this one...  Certainly has that familiar, hollow, 90's production.  Not as good as Sober but not bad, I listened all the way through.  That's says something lately!

SCHISM ...  This I don't like.  Boring and more hollow production, its thin sounding.  Its not totally devoid of interest because there are some moments that feel nice and heavy but they are brie and the vocal delivery is, how you say in Denmark, sucky?  Still I listened and watched all 8 minutes, whats up with that?

THE GRUDGE ...  Schism part II?  Kinda sounds like it.  This is where I get lost...  Interesting videos though

VICARIOUS ... These guys like anatomy don't they!  This song is interesting, much better than the previous two.

Good thing I got that Spotify account, I can check out those first two releases and see if this newer one hold any further interest for me...

If I were you, I would also check out Affinity by Haken (probably my album of the year) and Apricity by Syd Arthur (probably in my top 3 or at least 5). Now, there's no excuse. Not that they have absolutely anything to do with Tool.

Wow bro, I haven't thought of Tool in a long time. I do own one album, that would be Lateralus. And I do remember thinking it was cool, but I can't say I've listened to it more than once.

Sober - First off, this video is cool. One of the best you've ever posted for sure. It makes me think it could be a Steven Wilson video. Maybe he was influenced by Tool. It's definitely better than anything he could ever do, but you guys know that. Anyway, the bass and drums are front and center, which I like, but the guitars really develop the song. They fit perfectly with the video and the style of the song.

Stinkfist - Another cool, cool video. And a great song title. I don't think this song is a s good as Sober, but it isn't bad. More of that heavy/not heavy style, which I like when you can turn up the volume (it sucks when you have to keep the volume low). It's a good workout track, as is it's predecessor.

Schism - How cool are these videos? Way cool, that's how cool. The main male "thing" or "character" looks like the main zombie in I Am Legend. This is a killer song.

The Grudge - Seriously, was Mr. Wilson making this type of video before Tool? Just curious. He had to be influenced by this band, at least by their visual side. Also, The Walking Dead's creator might have gotten some ideas if he saw this video. Niels, for the first time, I can really see how the video element works to make the song more interesting. It may have faded into the background without the visual accompaniment. But now you've got me wanting to break out my Lateralus CD.

Vicarious - Have you ever known me to sit through three 8 plus minute songs and not complain? Now you have. Another mini-movie with a kick-ass heavy soundtrack. The drumming was just killer on this track. I was gonna say that it appears as though the movie War of the Worlds (the Tom Cruise movie) took some cinematic design ideas from this song, but the movie actually preceded the song and album.

Niels, great job brother. Easily your best post this year. I have some driving to do tomorrow, so it looks like I might be digging out Lateralus and spending some time with it.

I almost forgot to say that you can definitely hear MJK's vocal influence on band's like 10 Years, Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle.

Never heard of those bands?

I don't think, that Wilson has been inspired by these video's. Matbe the artist, he usually works with (can't remember his name). Though, I can't really see that much resembelence, other than they are "dark" cartoons?!

I'm glad you liked it, Bro'.

Lateralus is easily one of the 5 best albums released since the year 2000 imo.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos