Classic Rock Bottom

The year that was 1989...

• February – Roy Orbison joins Elvis Presley as the only singers to ever simultaneously have two top 5 albums on the Billboard charts.
  • February 12 – Tiny Tim launches an unsuccessful campaign to be elected mayor of New York City, USA.
  • February 17 – Whitesnake's David Coverdale marries Tawny Kitaen.
  • April 9 – The Rolling Stones' Bill Wyman announces that he will marry 19-year-old Mandy Smith, his girlfriend for six years.
  • July 9 – All four original members of The Monkees reunite in Los Angeles, USA, for a concert performance at the Universal Amphitheatre. The following day the quartet attend an induction ceremony at the Hollywood Walk of Fame, where they receive a star.
  • July 23 – Former Beatle Ringo Starr forms his own band named Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band.
  • August 11 – August 12 – The Moscow Music Peace Festival is held in the Soviet Union. The event is put together by Doc McGhee and the Make-A-Wish Foundation and headline acts include Bon Jovi, Ozzy Osbourne, Mötley Crüe, Skid Row, Cinderella, and the Scorpions.

My Top 5 albums...

1. Tears for Fears - The Seeds of Love
  2. Rush - Presto
  3. Bee Gees - One
  4. The Doobie Brothers - Cycles
  5. Don Henley - The End of the Innocence

So here we are, the end of an era.  1989 will not likely rank at the top of anyone's best of the 80's lists.  In fact, throughout this journey I've noticed the downward slide of our beloved Classic Rock genre with each passing year.  Alas, its far better than what was to come...  Lets end this thread with the typical responses but also lets add our Top3 favorite years from the 80's!  I will add mine later as well....  This has been a ton of fun!  I might go back to the 70's and do this again sometime later in the year...

PLAYLIST --> http://www.podsnack.com/CA69EFD9E8C/a1c9qp9p

Tesla
The Great Radio Controversy

1 - Love Song

The hit singles "Love Song", "Heaven's Trail (No Way Out)" and "The Way It Is" received considerable MTV airplay and rocketed the band to stardom. Many tracks on this album later received acoustic versions on their follow-up album, Five Man Acoustical Jam, a precursor of the Unplugged trend. The album is titled after the controversy about the identity of the inventor of radio. It is posed that Serbian engineer Nikola Tesla (whom the band is named after) is the true inventor of radio, while the Italian Guglielmo Marconi took the credit and is widely regarded as having the title. The album's inner sleeve recounts this story. The album was certified double platinum by the RIAA on July 23, 1998.

Kim Mitchell
Rockland

2 - Rocklandwonderland

Rockland is the third solo album from Canadian singer and guitarist Kim Mitchell. The album was released in 1989 and is certified double platinum in Canada. In 2004, Mitchell entered the radio broadcasting industry, becoming an afternoon drivetime host on Toronto classic rock radio station Q107 (CILQ-FM). He also opened for Def Leppard at the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto on July 16, 2007. His eighth studio album, entitled Ain't Life Amazing, was released on July 17, 2007.

The Kim Mitchell Band features his musical partner of 26 years Peter Fredette on bass and vocals (originally 2nd guitar and keyboards) with Chris Sutherland on drums and vocals, and Ray Coburn on keyboards.

Billy Joel
Storm Front

3 - I Go To Extremes

Storm Front is the eleventh studio album by American singer-songwriter Billy Joel, released on October 17, 1989. It features one of Joel's three #1 hits, "We Didn't Start the Fire", a fast-paced song that cataloged a list of historical events, trends, and cultural icons from after World War II (when Joel was born) until 1989, and "Leningrad", a story-song about a friendship between an American and a Russian during the final years of the Cold War. "I Go to Extremes", a song describing the ups and downs of his emotional life, placed at #6.

Tears For Fears
Seeds Of Love

4 - Badmans Song

The first song composed for the album was "Badman's Song" (originally titled "The Bad Man Song"), written during the band's 1985 world tour after Orzabal overheard two members of the tour personnel maligning him in a hotel room one night. The song was co-written by Orzabal with keyboardist Nicky Holland, who was touring with the band throughout 1985. Holland would go on to play an integral part in the writing and recording of The Seeds Of Love album, much as keyboardist Ian Stanley had on the band's previous album.

Rush
Presto

5 - Scars

I kicked off the 80's with a track off Permanent Waves, it seems most appropriate to end the decade with another Rush classic.

"Scars" features a complex drum pattern in which both acoustic and electronic drums are utilized. The pattern was derived from a tribal rhythm Neil Peart experienced while on a bicycle tour of Africa (later chronicled in his first book, The Masked Rider: Cycling in West Africa). He has gone on to incorporate this pattern into his live drum solos. The song also features the use of a sequencer in place of, and often mistaken for, a bass guitar.

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No sweat, I'm just picking at ya anyway... Hope tomorrow is better than today

Great lists and great comments ... As far as the years go, I'm really liking 83, 82, and 80 as my favorites... I loved how we entered the 80's with Rock, Prog, New Wave, and even some Disco hangover. Music was so fresh and bands could be who they wanted to be. 82 and 83 represent good times for me so they have to make the list...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos