Classic Rock Bottom

Hey, have you heard that brand new album by Cheap Trick?  The Sun Never Sets is an absolutely stunning song.  But that's off subject.  The album that put the band on the map was released way back in 1979 (in the U.S. that is).  It was the band's first live album and it wasn't even meant to be released domestically.  But there was enough airplay to warrant the U.S. release.  That turned out to be a good move, as the album climbed all the way up to number four on the Billboard chart, eventually going Triple Platinum.  The live version of I Want You To Want Me was a Top 10 hit (#7) while the Fats Domino cover of Ain't That A Shame cracked the Top 40 (#35).  I can't remember if I had the album, but either I did or my friend a couple of doors down had it.  He played the drums out back in his parent's shed, and Ain't That A Shame was his prime inspiration.  We loved side two and listened to it almost exclusively.  I can't remember if we ever listened to side one.  As a matter of fact, for years I thought the album started out with Ain't That A Shame.  Seemed like a perfect opener to me.  I know this is a beloved album, and I like it as well, but I don't find it any more of a joy to listen to than any of the first three studio albums.  What do you think?

Album Ranking:

1. In Color

2. Cheap Trick (1977)

3. Heaven Tonight

4. At Budokan (Live)

RJ's Ultimate Cheap Trick Playlist:

1. Hot Love

2. He's A Whore

3. Mandocello

4. Oh Candy

5. Hello There

6. Big Eyes