Classic Rock Bottom

It's April first, 2016, and Cheap Trick has a brand new album out today.  I have it and I'll probably be listening to it in a little bit, but for now, let's talk about the band's third album.  Heaven Tonight was released in May of 1978.  It charted better than any album to that point, scoring a number 48 showing.  It has been certified Platinum and features the singles Surrender and California Man. I have read that Heaven Tonight is considered by many fans as the band's finest album.  I can't say that I agree with that.  Don't get me wrong, it's a fine album.  It has what may be the band's greatest song, Surrender (my opinion, of course), but it's not even the first version of the song I heard.  I heard the live version on At Budokan! first, but I really do like the studio version (so does my five year old son).  Probably the most surprising thing you'll see is that I'm not that big of a fan of the title track.  I'm pretty sure it's a fan favorite, just not one of my favorites.  I'll show you where this one lands for me, but what do you think of it?

Album Ranking:

1. In Color

2. Cheap Trick (1977)

3. Heaven Tonight

RJ's Ultimate Cheap Trick Playlist:

1. Hot Love

2. He's A Whore

3. Mandocello

4. Oh Candy

5. Hello There

6. Big Eyes

7. Oh Caroline