Classic Rock Bottom

Cheap Trick released their second album of 1977 in September, about 7 months after the debut. This one fared a bit better on the charts, scoring  a Top 100 position on the album chart (#73). Three singles were released domestically, again with nothing charting in the U.S.  However, Clock Strikes Ten was released as a single in Japan only and hit number one there.  The album has been certified Platinum in the US of A.  What you have, basically, is a more polished sound as compared to the debut.  Some folks don't like it, but I do.  It's full of power pop bliss, and contains what is possibly the best know CT song around the world (I Want You To Want Me), though the version here is not the definitive version.  Which is why this version will not make my Ultimate Cheap Trick Playlist.  This is one of my favorite CT albums, Top 5 for sure, but exactly where remains to be seen.  How 'bout you, what do you think of this one? 

I almost forgot to mention that the album was re-recorded in 1998 with Steve Albini.  The band supposedly was not happy with the original album's production, so they re-recorded it.  It's interesting to listen to and I certainly recommend it if you get a chance (look for it on Youtube).

Album Ranking:

1. In Color

2. Cheap Trick (1977)

RJ's Ultimate Cheap Trick Playlist:

1. Hot Love

2. He's A Whore

3. Mandocello

4. Oh Candy

5. Hello There

6. Big Eyes

7. Oh Caroline

8. Clock Strikes Ten