Classic Rock Bottom

Doro
Raise Your Fist
Nuclear Blast Records - 2012
http://www.doropesch.com

The latest CD from German metal goddess Doro Pesch follows a strict regimen of ballsy and anthemic rockers, German language songs and power ballads.

The song that lends part of it's name to the album title opens the disc and it is an uptempo anthem. As with most anthems it is very repetitive but, unlike other discs/songs I've written about lately, it works well here. The album includes a German language version of the song as an uncredited bonus track. The official video for the song is included below in this review.

Other anthems in this collection are "Rock Till Death" and "Victory". Each song stands on its own legs and is well worth checking out.

Normally, I appreciate, if not understand, the new German language tracks Doro always includes on her albums. Besides the title track, she had "Engel" and "Freiheit (Human Rights)". Sadly neither song really did much for me this time around.

The anthem songs eliminate the need for a host of lyrics, but I've always enjoyed those songs that do call for more in depth lyric writing. But I thought Raise Your Fist had less passionate lyrics in songs like "Sealed In Blood (Human Rights)" and the ballad "Free My Heart".

Lemmy from Motorhead makes an out of character appearance on the ballad duet "It Still Hurts". Sadly, this song just doesn't work. I've heard Doro on the U.D.O. track "Dancing With An Angel" which is another duet with a male vocalist not quite recognized as the world's best singer and that song was beautiful. But "It Still Hurts" is no "Dancing With An Angel".

Like most artists influenced by Ronnie James Dio, Doro includes a song that is dedicated to the late singer. The song "Hero" has a slow beginning before moving to a more charged tempo. Unfortunately, the repetition of the song title works against the quality of the song. By the end of the song I was mentally yelling at Doro, "We get it, he's your hero! Say SOMETHING/ANYTHING else, willya please!"

For my money, the best song on the album is "Revenge" which is a pure ripping rocker. It's got great lyrics, full of Doro's passionate performance abilities so that you don't forget just exactly who is the real Queen of Metal.

Overall it is a decent album, but I was disappointed in a few more songs than usual. I saw one review on a message board I take part in that described the CD as being one for the existing fans of Doro. That is a good description. This album won't bring in new fans but for those of us who have supported Doro from when she was still fronting the underrated metal band Warlock, we'll be banging our heads and raising our fists!

Grade: B MINUS

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am a huge Doro fan but this one is just so-so in my opinion. Most of her stuff from 2000 on has been excellent. If you are unfamiliar with Doro, I recommend her "Warrior Soul" album. Her first four albums with the band Warlock were awesome.

I am a huge Doro fan and own most if not all of her albums with Warlock, solo and at least a few albums where she made guest appearances. Warrior Soul was good, but I prefer Force Majeure or Love Me In Black more.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos