Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: Beth Hart
Album: Bang Bang Boom Boom

Label: Provogue Records / Mascot Label Group  Released: 2013

http://www.bethhart.com

The release of 2012's My California found Beth Hart in full on confessional mode, but things are quite a bit different on Bang Bang Boom Boom. For the most part, the confessional chapters of Hart's life are moved to the side a bit while producer Kevin Shirley helps Hart push her way towards a higher level of artistic theatricality.

The album opens with a straight up piano riff and Hart's always electrically alluring voice. Then, about 90 seconds into the song, things blow out into a heavy bluesy sound and heavily dramatic vocal presentation.

While Hart employs her piano skills throughout the disc, her voice is also a superior instrument that skillfully jumps from pure power and sauciness on the song Better Man to the ballad "With You Every Day" which harkens back to the confessional brand of song I mentioned previously with a hauntingly beautiful vocal.

A variety of musical styles find their way into the material. You have "Swing My Thing Back Around" which has one of those golden oldie big band feels to it and  Hart embodying a playful chanteuse out in front. I really enjoyed the zippy musical soundtrack to the title cut, but the chorus felt a bit silly to me.

The song "Caught Out in the Rain" has a noir film feel to it, opening with a slow, evocative and moody manner to the tune. It's the longest cut on the disc at over 7 minutes in length. The guitar work from Randy Flowers is particularly noteworthy here, but the one nitpick I had with the song was the opening portion of the lyrics. They barely registered above a whisper and are very hard to make out.

Then there is "Spirit of God", a rocker track that melds together both funk and gospel choir action. Surprisingly, the blend makes it the kind of song that might actually draw you into a church service if you knew it was going to be performed.

The straight up rock track here is "There In Your Heart," which features more superb guitar work - including a solo - from blues guitarist legend and Hart collaborator Joe Bonamassa.

Hart's song writing has always been a big part of my enjoyment of her music and here on Bang Bang Boom Boom there are a couple of really prime examples of why I find her talent so invigorating and inspiring.

The song "Thru The Window of My Mind" starts out with an ethereal feel to it and includes the chorus line "I could escape thru the window of my mind, but I would never leave you behind." A great sentiment that would be perfect when said to someone dear to you.

And the lively "The Ugliest House on the Block" is perhaps one of the most beautifully composed set of lyrics I've ever heard. Hart manages to find a way to take the words that might sound a bit twisted and weave a tale that takes the listener on a wild ride. The following passage is one bit of the song that really stuck with me:

Entertainments where its at

Reality reruns on crack

My own dad could give a crap

I'd wear his love if I had a hard hat

I would rob, but I hate the cops

Sirens roar and guns go pop

And rock n rolls become hip hop

(Okay, I'm not too crazy about the hate the cops line but within the song itself the line works.)

The bonus track on the disc is the live performance Hart did with Jeff Beck in December 2012 at the Kennedy Center Honors salute to Buddy Guy. Their performance of the song "I'd Rather Go Blind" blew the doors off the place. It still gives me chills to listen to it.

When all is said and done, Bang Bang Boom Boom is yet another superb entry into Beth Hart's discography. It also serves to reinforce my belief that Hart is one of the most important working musicians these days.

She, and this album, are simply THAT good. Check that...that GREAT!

Views: 22

Reply to This

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos