Classic Rock Bottom

2013 CD Reviews - Dio - Finding the Sacred Heart - Live in Philly 1986

Dio
Finding the Sacred Heart - Live in Philly 1986
Eagle Records - 2013
http://www.ronniejamesdio.com

To lead off this review, it should be acknowledged that I'm writing about the 2 disc CD edition of the release. I bought the DVD as well and when I get around to viewing that I'll review it here as well.

In the meantime, the 1986 concert recording during the early days of the band's run with guitarist Craig Goldy (replacing the departed Vivian Campbell) sounds fantastic.

The liner notes essay accompanying the set is written by Malcome Dome and includes quotes from Goldy, Jimmy Bain and Vinny Appice. The sound is about as close to untouched as possible, though some touch ups were required where vocals got damaged by other sounds.

But it is still a LIVE album as opposed to what sometimes gets passed off as live recordings and you later find out it is mostly done up with studio "magic".

And the sound you hear is Ronnie James Dio simply shining during arguably the finest point of his solo career. He sounds amazing. It is a little saddening to hear him sound so alive on this recording and to then get shocked back to present day and realize that his voice is no longer with us.

But instead of sticking on that point, you find yourself just laying back and rocking out as he and the band just blow through some great versions of "King of Rock and Roll", "Don't Talk To Strangers", "Heaven and Hell" and many more of his concert staples.

The only drawback to the release for me has more to do with the inclusion of three solos on Disc 1. You've got a drum solo from Appice, a keyboard solo from Claude Schnell and a Goldy guitar solo. Now if this was actually 1986 again, I would've been thrilled to witness all three of them just blaze through their individual spotlight moments.

But listening to the concert 28 years after the fact, I can't help but think to myself that I really would NOW prefer to hear more actual songs in the set list than solos.

It is an admittedly minor nitpick and one due more to a past vs. present argument than a quality issue.

I have lately begun editing my music collection and getting rid of those pesky greatest hits and live album releases that really don't do anything for me since I have the original albums. But this is Dio and when there is a Dio release, I'm there to worship at the altar of Ronnie.

Finding The Sacred Heart - Live in Philly 1986 is another perfect captured moment in time that shows Ronnie James Dio in fine vocal form at the height of his powers.

Grade: A MINUS

Here's a clip of the song "Sacred Heart" from the DVD via Eagle Rock TV:

Views: 33

Reply to This

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos